Laid Off Today ! :-(

Lounge By TOMAY Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm by TOMAY

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 11

So after three years at my job I was laid off today. Not real upset crazy just caught in the economy retail issue. My problem is I just recived my associates degree in business managment but I am not real sure what that will get me. I have been doing call center and customer service for so long I do not know what direction to take. I can do anything I guess I just do not know what. Any Sugestions would help

10 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 11

Sorry to hear that, but I understand. My dad was laid off from his job on Monday for the same reasons. The company was going under. He had been there over 10 years. Just look at this as an opportunity to better yourself and try not to get down about it, even though I know it's hard.

I've been fired before, but it turned out to be one of the biggest "blessing in discguise" that I have ever had.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 11

That completely stinks, I'm really sorry. I notice you're in NC, you didn't happen to work for Bank Of America did you? I only ask because my DH works for them and he was just saying tonight that a lot of people were laid off. (Their main headquarters are in NC)

It's great that you finished your degree. Be sure to have a great resume' and maybe start sending it around to some headhunters to get your name out there. Hopefully you'll be able to collect unemployment benefits to carry you until you find something.

Good luck, I hope you find a new job real soon!

P.S. Is selling cakes full time an option for you?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 11

I hate that for you TOMAY. I'm in NC too so I have seen it all around me. So far, I've been fortunate to still have a job...especially since I work at a furniture factory. Do you sell your cakes from home? If so, how many do you usually sell per week? As dkelly27 said, is it an option to do that full time?

TOMAY Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 11

No I do not sell them at all just work for practice. I worked for a small hardware company I just still am not sure what I want to do with myself when I grow up

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 11

You have to stay positive or depression will set in.
Hey....the world is your oyster! You can:
- reinvent yourself (yet again, I know)
- go back to school, or take online courses
- change careers
-bake and sell cakes!

I read a fantastic book recently, (find the half price bookstore near you)
"Caught Between a Dream and a Job" Delatorro McNeal III
It was really helpful for me.

We are all cheering for you! Keep the faith, stay strong.
Denise

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 11

No real advice, just best of luck to you. That is really tough, and I hope you will be OK.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #8 of 11

I'm so sorry to hear about you being laid off. Unfortunately it's happening everywhere. My father was permanently laid off at Christmas time from his job of 35 years. He only had another 3 years to go before he was to retire. He found another job, but makes substantially less now. You do what you got to do I guess.

As for what you could do with your experience...anything in an office or customer service setting. Sorry I can't be more specific, but there's quite a bit that you could do. I would suggest polishing up your resume and get it out there to anyone. Right now not very many people are hiring so the sooner you get out there the better the possibility you'll get a job. Also go apply for unemployment. It will help you at least until you find something else, plus they can help you find another job. Good luck and again sorry for being laid off.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 11

so you have an AA in Biz Management?

finish ! then full degree -- get the BA --- that's another 2 years.

that will open far more options than an AA

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 11

sorry to hear that ..... but understand completely how you feel ... I live in Michigan and the economy here really sucks .... everything is so heavily relied on the big three auto makers in this state that if one thing happens there, it dwindles down to almost every job you can think of in this state .... my dh just got called back to work, my cousin's husband just got laid off, my aunts dh just got laid off, three of my mom's neighbors are laid off, its so scary! Best of luck to you and others going through this!

TOMAY Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

so you have an AA in Biz Management?

finish ! then full degree -- get the BA --- that's another 2 years.

that will open far more options than an AA

I am still in school working on my BA as an IT Systems Analyst. Only 16 more months to go. You ever done something so long that you only know that one thing. Being A CSR as long as I have is just the easy way . I guess Monday I will head to the dreaded unemployment agency and to the temp services to see what I can do or what suggestions they have for placement. I'm just mad I could only spend a quarter of what I wanted today at the cake shop icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%