Segway Cake.. How On Earth?

Decorating By emhurston Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm by jen1977

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

Good Morning all. I am a recreational decorator and my son has decided he wants his cake in the shape of a Segway because they are going to see Mall Cop for his birthday party. Well, mom is stumped icon_confused.gif , so I thought I'd ask for some guidance from all of you wonderful people. Here is a link to the segway site so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.segway.com/individual/models/index.php

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ellen

5 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

Does he want it 2D or 3D?

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

For a 3D cake, how about if you make 2 8x3 round cakes and a small rectangular cake. the round cakes can be up on the sides, supported by swewers or dowels and the rectangular can be angled with a cake board and attached with dowels or skewers. if you are nervous about stability, you can always cut the round cakes in half and then put back together supported by a cut cake board and more dowels. Just a thought. the handle can be made from formed rice crispy treats.

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 6

3D for sure! I was thinking of having my DH build a wood platform with short legs for the base. I like the idea of rice krispie treats for the handle, maybe even for the base and then only having the wheels be cake. Hmmmm. This might actually be fun.

Thanks for the help.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

I'd just make the handle of PVC pipe covered with fondant or candy melts.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I'd just make the handle of PVC pipe covered with fondant or candy melts.

I was thinking the same thing. That would be the easiest way. I'd probably do fondant so I could get it smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%