Ordering Items For Cake...

Business By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm by SweetOccasionCakes

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I have a cake order and the woman JUST decided on a cake topper from Wilton. The cake is due Feb. 1st! Where would be the best/quickest place to get it? TIA!

6 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 7

I'd tell the client to get the topper and deliver it to you! I tell them that even if it is 6 months before the wedding. Then if there is a problem with it being out of stock etc., THEY have to deal with it and find something else to use!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, I have never provided a topper for a cake (except in the case of the Aggie Bonfire one where I made an outhouse out of popsicle sticks icon_lol.gif ). I once referred a bride to our local cake supply shop for a topper, and she purchased it there.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 7

I don't mess with the topper at all. I don't even want to keep up with it if the bride buys it herself. If I have weddings on the books for the next 2 years... whether I've got 20 cakes or 200 cakes on the books... I don't want the responsibility of keeping up with them all.

I've learned to tell the brides that they need to have the topper on-site when I get there. If it's there, I'll place it... if not - it's their responsibility.

Don't get me wrong ... I will often have the bride show me their topper to make sure it isn't too big for the cake, or need special support - but I do NOT keep up with it! That's just me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 7

It is the bride's responsibility to provide the topper, be it ceramic, plastic, flowers - real or silk. I am not a personal shopper. I tell them to leave it on the cake table, and I'll put it on the cake when I get there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:38am
post #6 of 7

ditto. The topper is the client's responsibility.

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your advice! This I will remember for NEXT time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%