Emergency!!! Sugar Bottles....

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm by sweetpea223

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have thoroughly read at least one lengthy thread about making the sugar bottles, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. This cake is for my husband's 40th and I'm working on my second mold....I've done what I was told, and the bottle has been sitting since last night, but the latex rubber is still"spongy" in places. I'm afraid to roll it off, because when I did that with the one I made 2 days ago, it held together, but it got all misshapen. I put on more latex this time, because the last one felt a little thin and was collapsing a bit. This is getting hairy because the party is on Sat. and I haven't even started baking yet!!! Working so hard on just the silly mold....How does anyone make the mold and bottles in just one day!??

5 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

i think they use the putty mold for the one day bottles or buy the premade molds. i used the paint on mold also and it takes a long time to get it to dry , have you been using a blow dryer to help it along? I also did the requisite 7-8 layers and that is not enough IMO my mold was still soft and didn't hold its shape well. another cc'er said that they did 13 layers!

Good luck with your bottles!

sweetisome Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 6

I think it was sweetresults who said she can make mols and bottles in one day...and she's the one from whom I got the instructions....Well her forum anyway (her instructions). Sorry, I'm a bit paniced here...Thank you for your respose though cupcakemkr

sweetisome Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

If a hair dryer helps the latex to cure, what about putting it into a warm (maybe 200 degree) oven?

sweetisome Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

Giving this a bump...the clock is ticking....tick, tock, tick, tock icon_eek.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 6

I didn't get to find the latex in any stores and Cammie who also helped in my making the sugar beer bottles...have suggested the amazing putty mold that can be bought in Michael's, (I think) Hobby Lobby for some or AC Moore... it did dry out fast and I was able to make the bottle right away. Altho, it was a little tricky in moulding it as you have to be fast in moulding it. I tore my first mold and had to buy a new box even tho Cammie said you can make 2 out of it. Hey, I was a first timer and I didn't know how thin I should make it. The second one tore too but not as much as the first.
Anyway, I don't think I helped you...but good luck. The results are awesome once you've made them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%