Fondant Figures And Fuzz

Decorating By marag Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 1:27am by Price

marag Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to fondant. Most of my experience was in the Wilton 3 and 4 courses. I've played around with it at home, but now a friend has asked me to make her something for a baby shower. While trying to mold some baby booties, I occasionally saw a piece of fuzz or lint or whatever in it, usually just 1 very small peice. I know that I am staring hard at it. It's gross, and would gross me out if I saw it... whether it's eaten or not.

I tried doing it with gloves. I couldn't work with the fondant. I dried my hands with a paper towel after I washed them, so it couldn't be towel lint.

Does this happen to everybody else? Any advice? What am I doing wrong? icon_redface.gif

8 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 9

It happens to me too! So frustrating. I have a terrible habit of pulling on my clothes (all this cake is making me too fat for my clothes! icon_smile.gif ) and I think some of the fuzz comes off of my shirt. I have definitely figured out that I cannot use dishtowels to dry my hands or my work tools. I just have to be super aware of everything that I touch when I'm baking/decorating!

Sorry I don't have any actual advice! icon_smile.gif

suz3 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

It could have just been something in the air. I do fondant figures and I've never noticed any fuzz. I really don't think it's anything that you are doing. You might want to keep your pieces lightly covered until they dry if it continues to be a problem for you.

DancingCakes2008 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 9

Some paper towels even have lint. Just make sure your area is as clean as possible. Maybe try drying with "lint free" towels

KrissieCakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 9

BTW - I just saw the Cards baseball cupcakes in your pics. Nice job on those. Are you from St. Louis?

OhMyGanache Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 9

Wear an apron and latex gloves and that should help eliminate some of the lint transferred from your clothing.

MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

I always wear a white t-shirt, nylon jogging pants, and use white flour-sack towels to dry my hands on when I make cakes.

I HATE fuzz!

marag Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #8 of 9

Hmm... I do wear a black apron. I wonder if that is what it is, although I don't notice touching it. I guess I need to be more aware of that. Thanks!

KrissieCakes - thanks! No, I'm not from St. Louis, but my 4 yr old's baseball team was the Cardinals. I made those for his team party.

Thanks everyone.

Price Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 9

I think it's impossible to model fondant while wearing gloves! I make sure my hands are very clean, dry my hands with a lint free cotton towel, and wear a white tee shirt. I also make sure the surface I'm working on is wiped down and clean before I start. Fondant seems to attract little pieces of stuff for some reason! icon_surprised.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%