Fondant Figures And Fuzz

Decorating By marag Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 1:27am by Price

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to fondant. Most of my experience was in the Wilton 3 and 4 courses. I've played around with it at home, but now a friend has asked me to make her something for a baby shower. While trying to mold some baby booties, I occasionally saw a piece of fuzz or lint or whatever in it, usually just 1 very small peice. I know that I am staring hard at it. It's gross, and would gross me out if I saw it... whether it's eaten or not.

I tried doing it with gloves. I couldn't work with the fondant. I dried my hands with a paper towel after I washed them, so it couldn't be towel lint.

Does this happen to everybody else? Any advice? What am I doing wrong? icon_redface.gif

Thanks!!

8 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 9

It happens to me too! So frustrating. I have a terrible habit of pulling on my clothes (all this cake is making me too fat for my clothes! icon_smile.gif ) and I think some of the fuzz comes off of my shirt. I have definitely figured out that I cannot use dishtowels to dry my hands or my work tools. I just have to be super aware of everything that I touch when I'm baking/decorating!

Sorry I don't have any actual advice! icon_smile.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

It could have just been something in the air. I do fondant figures and I've never noticed any fuzz. I really don't think it's anything that you are doing. You might want to keep your pieces lightly covered until they dry if it continues to be a problem for you.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 9

Some paper towels even have lint. Just make sure your area is as clean as possible. Maybe try drying with "lint free" towels

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 9

BTW - I just saw the Cards baseball cupcakes in your pics. Nice job on those. Are you from St. Louis?

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 9

Wear an apron and latex gloves and that should help eliminate some of the lint transferred from your clothing.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

I always wear a white t-shirt, nylon jogging pants, and use white flour-sack towels to dry my hands on when I make cakes.

I HATE fuzz!

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #8 of 9

Hmm... I do wear a black apron. I wonder if that is what it is, although I don't notice touching it. I guess I need to be more aware of that. Thanks!

KrissieCakes - thanks! No, I'm not from St. Louis, but my 4 yr old's baseball team was the Cardinals. I made those for his team party.

Thanks everyone.
Mara

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 9

I think it's impossible to model fondant while wearing gloves! I make sure my hands are very clean, dry my hands with a lint free cotton towel, and wear a white tee shirt. I also make sure the surface I'm working on is wiped down and clean before I start. Fondant seems to attract little pieces of stuff for some reason! icon_surprised.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%