Covering A Square Dummy With Fondant...can't Get It Right!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Pardon me for not searching the forums for this, but, I am pressed for time.

I am trying to cover square dummies with fondant. No matter what I do, it is wrinkled and pleated towards the corners. I think I'm doing everything right...I have rolled it fairly thickly, or maybe what I consider thick, to avoid tearing....but I just can't get rid of the pleats and wrinkles.

Anyone have some good advice? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

6 replies
confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

Covering a square cake or dummy is not easy (obviously). The trick to doing it is to gently smooth the corners with your hand cupped over the corners. Don't push the fondant down per se as it will pucker and pleat. You have to coax it down. Try this video - it's great! HTH

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-cover-a-square-cake-with-sugar-paste-or-fondant-217830/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 7

Do the corners first.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys....I need to be consistent with my corners. I knew I was supposed to be doing corners first, and I wasn't doing that, so I will now, and I hope I get better results!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 7

Wow...I just cannot get it right. I've watched that video a hundred times. The only one I have been semi successful with is the 6" dummy. And that's the only time I was able to roll out a semi-square slab of fondant too. Is that the key? Square shape to prevent all of the excess drapery near the edges?

Man...cake show only a couple weeks away....I'm getting a little nervous! Any other advice I could use? Anything?

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 7

one other thing to try....with my square dummies I push in the corner and the edges a bit so there not so sharp...use like a mallet or something and "gently" press the edges and corners until they are less sharp ....this helped me...good luck

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you! Sitting here thinking about it a great deal more...I think one factor that is holding me back, is the amount of tackiness on the dummy. I remember the fondant not sticking well, and when I could manage to get one corner ok...it would shift and bunch when I moved onto the next. I'm going to try a very light coat of piping gel tonight. Whew!

I was using water, but it didn't seem good enough....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%