Egg White Powder And Meringue Powder? For Royal Icing

Baking By tujy Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:48am by tujy

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 4

hi,

i've never made royal icing before. i bought some egg white powder, but the royal icing recipe calls for meringue powder. can i substitute the meringue powder with the egg white powder in the same quantity that the recipe asks for? i'm not keen on using raw egg whites, and i've read online that meringue powder has other ingredients in it like cornstarch and sugar etc.

thank youu

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 4

I use egg white powder instead of meringue powder all the time. It works the same and I think it tastes better. Just use it in the same way that the meringue powder would be used.

HTH

Michele

hpotter83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpotter83 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 4

I ran out of meringue powder last night when I was making royal icing for my cake board. I used what I had left and then threw in powdered egg whites....came out great and MAN did it dry ROCK HARD! I have never had it dry that hard before!

tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 4

thanks guys

i'm making cookies tonight. just out of curiosity, does royal icing really dry rock hard? is it not nice to eat? i've piped icing onto cookies before using just milk and icing sugar, but my decorations crumbled a bit when i piled the cookies on top of one another.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%