Edible/gum Paste Vs Clay

Decorating By Galler Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 6:18am by TexasSugar

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 5

I am finding that people like to keep the figures that I make for their cakes. That is the good news! icon_biggrin.gif

I currently make them out of gum paste or something else edible. One of the cakes I did the customer was disappointed that the cake topper was edible (gum paste) as her daughter wanted to keep it (I guess forever?). Now I have a request for a cake topper made with clay for the same reason.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and what the majority of you all make your figures out of. Thanks

4 replies
Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 5

anyone?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, if you make your figures with gumpaste, you can put it on the cake directly. I have loads of figures that I made 2 years ago. So you can keep them, if you don't put them on direct sun light and an air tight container.

If you make them with cold porcelain or something like that, you have to make it on the plaque and then put that on the cake, because its a non- edible stuff. But you can keep them forever.

bakedit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedit Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 5

I have a friend who has a business that is making replica bride and groom couples as toppers. Yes they are all gum paste. The reason that she has so much work is because they keep forever. Keeping the top tier cake isn't as popular any more but people can keep the toppers in their glass cabinet as a lifetime keepsake. They are small, yet eye catching and memorable. Stick to the gumpaste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:18am
post #5 of 5

I'd stick to the gum paste myself. You can keep them, if stored properly for ages. A few months ago I finally threw away some fondant/gum tex figures I had made. One was a scarecrow that I had had for atleast 5 years. The others were some turkeys that were atleast 2 to 3 years old.

Before I switched over to clay I'd think about it. How much does clay cost compared to gum paste? Plus you would have to buy a second set of any tools you used and make sure you don't mix them up. Also as was said above, the can not be put directly on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%