First Time -- Open Book Cake

Decorating By cakearoni Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm by -K8memphis

cakearoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakearoni Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hey Gang
I *think* this might be pretty easy to accomplish but since Ive never done one I wanted to run it by y'all first.

I have the small Wilton open book pan and plan to do the top in BC with an edible image for the pages(complex printing job) but add fondant overlay embellishments.

Questions: I plan to add a layer underneath to give it more height (sounds reasonable right?) are there issues with filling it >buldges, sliding etc?)

and would it look funky to have fondant 'pages' along the angled sides? (and how would you do them?) BC will look just too imprecise I think(?)

How have YOU done them, and hints, tips, tricks?!!

thanks
Karen

4 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Karen -

Is the sheetcake underneath the book the same size to make the book bigger, or are you just giving it more of a platform? If it's part of the book, you shouldn't have a problem with bulging if you treat it the same as you would any layered cake. (assuming you don't have bulging with your other layered cakes!)

When I'm doing an open book cake in BC (which is most of the time), I smooth the edges and then go back with my "smocking" rolling pin. I roll it up the edges, "embossing" the sides with little lines. Then I go back and "paint" the edges with a touch of gold which really enhances the "pages".

If you don't have a smocking rolling pin (it has lines going from end to end) you could also just go back with a ruler or something similar and press the lines into the edges of the cake. Hope that made sense!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

KAREN!!! There you are!!! It's K8!! Hey Cake-Buddy!!!! I wondered off & on if you were ever gonna bake another cake. Great to see you.

L&P,
Kate

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 5

Karen,
I did the larger open book cake (in my gallery) all in buttercream. I wanted to add a layer of fondant for the "top" pages of the book but I didn't. The cake was plenty think, but if you have the small pan, I would bake an appropriate size sheet and cut it to fit. I took a fork and made my "pages". I just started decorating in October, so I'm sure you'll get better suggestions.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 5

Debbie, that's how I made mine too. Fork for page edges and if you don't clean the tines it gets ribbley like an old book and I did the fondant for the top page and drat it anyway I rolled it too short so I have to add a couple extra 'pages'. icon_biggrin.gif If only I could write in a straight line I'd have it made--lol

http://acmecakes.com/images/RIMG02802.JPG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%