Absolutely Done With Mmf

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 2:38am by GI

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 12

okay so I have made MMF before and although the black fondant works nice the regular MMF does not. it has a crumbly texture that's hard to color and it has no elasticity like purchased fondant. This makes it harder to work with especially when making intricant things like flowers. Does anyone else have this problem? I use less sugar and glycerine to keep it moist and pliable but just didn't happen for me...AGAIN! not worth the time and mess. I would rather be out the money and buy my piece of mind by using store bought so i never have problems again and my cakes come out perfect every time. Just thought I would vent/share my disaster tonight.

11 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 12

Have you tried adding shortning? I use it to decorate not to cover a cake I dont think I'm brave enough for that yet.

Jeaucl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeaucl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 12

Also, it might depend on what type of marshmellow you use. We have used Jet Puff and have covered a couple cakes with it so far. I, myself like to make my own fondant instead of using marshmellow, but it sure is pretty handy to whip up in a pinch. The crisco does sure help, but we haven't had a big problem with it as far as crumbling. I just find it doesn't hold together as good as other fondants, but that is just my experience.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 12

I gave up on MMF a while ago too. I now use Michelle Fosters recipe which is wonderful! Or I use Albert Usters. Which breaks down to about $4 a pound but it comes in a little over a 13# bucket.
I personally can't stand MMF. It's too sweet and is difficult to work with.
I know some people can get it to work for them and they love it, but alas...I'm not one of them. It's just not worth the hassle for me.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:28am
post #5 of 12

what is the difference between MMF and michele fosters recipe? Why do you like this better?

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:50am
post #6 of 12

Which recipe are you using? I had the same problems when I first tried mmf but switched to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe and have never looked back icon_wink.gif
It's super elastic and not crumbly at all.
As Jeaucl mentions, it can also depend on the type of marshmallow you use - I definitely avoid jet puffed, it has just never worked well for me.
HTH icon_smile.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 12

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and that is all I will use. I just whipped up three batches yesterday. I never have a problem with Rhonda's. It's very easy to work with and very pliable.

Sorry you are having this problem. Which recipe are you using. I know the one recipe for chocolate fondant didn't work for me it was crumbly and I had to work in crisco and corn syrup just to make it more workable. It was a disaster.

Have a great day!

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 12

i tried to find Rhonda's MMF, is it one of the recipes listed here? if not, could someone post the recipe? It is like 5 degrees outside, so what better to do with my time than play with fondant!!!

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 12

hi, i like mmf but also find it a little sweet. last week, i needed to cover a cake and only had some mmf and store bought sugarpaste, neither of which was enough to cover the cake, so i mixed the 2 and kneaded it really well. it turned out to be a great mixture to work with and tasted really good. the marshmallow flavour overpowered the plastic taste of the sugarpaste without being too sweet - i'll probably always do this now.

just thought i'd share...

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 12

i've tried mmf and had so much trouble with it!!! now i'd rather just go an buy fondant. its so much easier and global sugar art sells satin ice pretty cheap. i've never tried rhonda's or michelle fosters fondant, maybe one day i will to see if it works any better

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 12

Rhonda's MMF is in the recipe section on here - just search under Rhonda icon_smile.gif

sulia, great idea mixing mmf with pre-made, some of my customers find it a bit sweet also.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #12 of 12

I've used FlowerGirlMN's technique & recipe for MMF lots of times. I've added dissolved salt and a bit of lemon to cut down on the sweetness. I've always received rave reviews. I haven't tried Michelle's yet... icon_redface.gif to compare. But I do know that kids love the MMF. So perhaps Michelle Foster fondant has more grown-up taste.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%