Need Help From All You Swiss Meringue Buttercream Experts!!

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm by sparklepopz

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #1 of 9

I just made my first ever batch of SMBC - O-M-G!! it is SOOOOOOO good!!! I just have a couple questions.... How long will this keep in the fridge? (It does have to be refrigerated??) Can you use it as a base for fondant covered cake? I used the 1-2-3 SMBC recipe (1-egg to 2-sugar to 3-butter) - using this recipe how much would you need for a 3 tier cake (6-8-10), it didn't seem to make much icing (compared to my regular buttercream recipe (Indydeb's)). What is the difference between Swiss and Italian??

What else can you tell me about SMBC - please feel free to rant and rave! I feel like screaming from the rooftop right now!! NO MORE SIFTING POWDER SUGAR!!

Thank you so much for any advice you have!

8 replies
TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

It does need to be refrigerated if not going to be consumed in a day or so. There is a SMBC recipe out there for the 5qt kitchenaid mixer, it makes a full full bowl.....20 egg whites, 4 cups sugar, 3 lbs butter. It does well in the refrigerator but you have to let it warm completely to room temp then rebeat it before you use it.

I do love the SMBC, mix it with peanut butter for a great filling, you can add maple syrup to it, lemon curd, any number of things. You can NOT airbrush it, that doesn't come out well (from experience). It smooths nicely, tastes delicious.

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much!! I am so excited about this new frosting!! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY - holy cow the peanut butter sounds so good!!!

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 9

OH - can I use it as a base for fondant??? This is really important, I have a big cake to make and I want to use the SMBC but its a fondant mad hatter??? I was going to decorate Saturday for delivery on Sunday morning - would it need to be in the fridge on Saturday???

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 9

I air brush my smbc. Yes it works under fondant. I chill all my cakes but no it doesn't have to be friged overnight.

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 9

OMGosh!! thank you so much!! I just hate putting my fondant in the fridge, it always sweats and runs etc....

thank you thank you thank you so much!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:38am
post #7 of 9

A couple of great threads about making and using IMBC or SMBC

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=0

BTW the difference between Swiss and Italian is in the cooking method: Swiss you heat the ew over a double boiler to get them to safe temp; Italian the theory is that pouring the hot sugar syrup into your uncooked stiff-peak ew will heat them to proper temp. I am not sure if that is true so I use pasteurized ew...but not all brands whip to peaks. Swiss is technically easier so if you had success with it might as well stick with it...though I've read that Italian is marginally more stable esp at higher temps. I always scramble my Swiss so I stick with Italian!

BTW what fondant do you use? I've read that only MMF sweats and runs (mine sure does). Satin Ice does not and also Michele Foster's (recipe here) is supposed to be stable in the fridge; I want to try it as soon as I get the correct ingredients.

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 9

I've only put my fondant in the fridge twice - once with wilton (very early in decorating) and the other was MMF. I use Satin Ice now - didn't know its supposed to be stable in the fridge - I was just too scared since the first two times....didn't want to chance it.

I am decorating today for delivery at 9AM tomorrow - the fundraiser is from 11 - 3, so I think the cake will get cut around 12. so I think I should be ok.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

Satin Ice does beautifully in the fridge. In a class I took, Bronwen Weber told us that if we airbrush our entire cake in vodka before putting it in the fridge, if the cake does sweat when it returns to room temp that the condensation will be very fine and evaporate very quickly. I usually forget that step and have not had problems with sweating.

I LOVE IMBC under vanilla Satin Ice fondant. YUM!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%