Toba's Glaze And Icing Flavouring?

Baking By Bridy Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 2:49am by Twopeasinapod

Bridy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridy Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 8

can someone post this recipe for me?
I hear it mentioned often btu I can't seem to find the recipe.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if you can buy strawberry flavouring. I was thinking of making some sugar cookies and flavouring the icing strawberry. Instead of buying actualy valentines I thought it would be fun for my kids to help make some cookies and give them out as valentines.

7 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 8

I think I'm putting in the link for toba's glace. Yes, Bridy, you can buy strawberry extract in the grocery store with the vanilla and other extracts (flavoring). I sometimes use cherry, strawberry when I need pink or red icing. I use orange sometimes in orange colored icing. I also use a little cocoa powder (only need a little) for a brown or black.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 8

You can also use Jello powder to flavor the cookies. Someone once posted the recipe in this forum....they were roll-out sugar cookies with Jello as part of the sugar amount. Naturally, I have the recipe at home and I'm at work! Search the cookie recipes to see if it was posted there.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 8

I just used Toba's glace for the first time yesterday. It is a little harder to work with then RI (or at least I thought so). I did like the fact it didn't dry quiet as hard as RI but for right now I think I will stick with RI and just play around with Toba's glace until I get better with it. Is there a trick to working with it? When I try to make dots with Toba's it sticks to itself and strings.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

I think the key to working with Glace is that it has to be the right consistency. It isn't going to do some of the things that RI will, just by nature, because even stiff it won't hold stars and things like that. My biggest problem, currently, is in making the "joint" look right where two colors touch.

I had sent a message to someone who works with it and does gorgeous work, but never got any response. So, I'll just keep playing with it until I figure it out. The flavor and the softness are worth the other complications to me.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 8

twopeas...try to thicken the glace with a little more powdered sugar. when you make you dots, just as you let go of the pressure...circle around the dot with your tip. just like you would with frosting...kinda like they do at dairy queen. that should get rid of that "tail"

kitty...sorry...i just sent you a pm

i really believe the glace is well worth it. i just finished a bridal show today. i got such a huge response! i heard a lot of "that's like cookies by design only tastes better"...YEAH!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #7 of 8

Gotta love the "only tastes better" part!!!!

Thanks for the PM! I feel the cookie making mode coming on!!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 8

Thanks, kneadacookie! I will try that. By the way I have been looking at your cookies and they are amazing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%