Decorating With Whipped Icing

Decorating By Laura0430 Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm by Monkess

Laura0430 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura0430 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 3

I need help (suggestions) on using Whipped Icing. I decorate primarily with fondant and occasionally buttercreme but recently received a request for whipping icing. I found a couple recipes for the whipped icing but wonder:

Does the cake need to remain refrigerated?
Can you decorate with the whipped icing or mainly just shells, trims?
Is it think enough to use between the cake layers?
Any other insightful information that I need to know???

Thanks!

Laura

2 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 3

I worked in a bakery where we offered whipped cream frosting. It will need to be refrigerated. Some of the girls I worked with were able to do roses and fully decorate with it. I never successfully made a rose with it though icon_sad.gif Upon request we did use it as a filling,, but most often we used a fruit filing inside. If you're using real whipped cream I would use some piping gel to stabilize it. Real cream also has a shorter shelf life and will dry/crack quickly compared to the commercial whipped icing.

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 3

A good majority of my cakes are fruit and cream. Using real cream with stabilizers and or gel is a pain in the neck...it just does not hold up and is very expensive. I use Richs whipped topping or NutriWhip whipped topping, think of cool whip but much thicker. you can buy it at sams club or go their website to find a local source. Excellent product, tastes wonderful and you can decorate with it too...Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%