Pricing For Cake Balls

Business By weteyes53 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm by KHalstead

weteyes53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weteyes53 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 10

I was asked to make cake balls for a valentine's day cocktail party. I use a melon baller for the size. How would I charge for them? Would it be per piece and if so, what is a fair price?

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 10

Usually by the dozen.. I have no idea what to charge though. I don't care for them so I don't make them. They are a bit of work though so don't sell yourself short. I'm thinking $18/dozen and up. You have to bake the cake.. crumble the cake.. mix it all up.. scoop them.. roll them.. chill them.. dip them.. let them set.. ugh.. I'm tired thinking about it. icon_lol.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 10

We have charged the small amount we've made so far $1.25 to $1.50 each.

Paul & Peter

weteyes53 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for your replies.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 10

I sell tons of them and I charge $4.00/dozen........I get about 50-60 out of one cake mix and they take me roughly one hour to roll and dip so I figure that's enough of a profit.......besides, most of them are made with scraps that I used to throw out, that I know throw in a ziploc baggy and stuff in the freezer. I dip some in chocolate and then roll in coconut and others I dip in chocolate and then roll in rice krispies and then back in chocolate again, they're super yummy!!! I'll attach a photo so you can see, the ones that go in the rice krispies I make smaller (because the r.k. add so much bulk to the size) like about the size of a grape maybe a tad bigger, the finished product is about the size of a walnut.
LL

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with the guys, I charge 1.25-1.50 per morsel. It does take a lot of time and effort to make them look nice. not to mention if you are placing them in individual cups and then packaging them for transport. you know presentation is everything ! And that does have a price. JMHO icon_biggrin.gif

weteyes53 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10

The cookie platter looks beautiful. I like the different color swirls and outer textures of the cakes balls. Thank you all for your suggestions on the pricing. I didn't know how much would be too much and too little. Since this is my first request to be paid for them, I didn't want to overcharge and besides this is for a co-worker of mine. Thanks again to everyone for your input.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #8 of 10

When I was selling them I was charging $10.50 a dozen boxed. Now because of things costing more, including electric and gas, I would charge more.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 10

In case people were wondering where we came up with our price, for our chocolate items, we charge $1 per ounce ($16 per pound). We think that's reasonable for chocolate products.

So, the reason the cake balls were $1.25-$1.50 is because they weighed around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 ounces.

It makes it REALLY easy on the math!!!

Paul & Peter

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 10

I get a lot of orders for cake balls in addition to birthday cakes, so I started to do the swirls and stuff on top in order to coordinate the colors.....like I've done pink and black ones to go with a pink/black topsy turvy cake, etc. I don't usually take photos of the cake balls though lol, guess I never thought they were that important (terrible isn't it? lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%