Magazines-Do You Store Or Throw??

Lounge By Monkess Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 1:04am by sweetness_221

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 9

I've been questioning the boxes of "stored" magazines that I keep lugging with me over the years..what do you folks do with yours? I throw out the cheap ones but the MS Living or Bon Appetit etc. get promptly read and stored for a rainy day...will it ever come? icon_confused.gif lol...what about you guys?

8 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not one for lots of magazines, but those I do have either get recycled, regifted (doctor's offices etc are often glad to take things like old National Geographics) or pulled apart. I keep files of pictures/articles I want to keep rather than keep the whole magazine (which is mostly advertising anyway!)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 9

It depends on the magazine. I do keep my Cook's Illustrated and Cook's country, with post-it notes sticking out of the recipes that I like, but Southern Living I just rip out what I like and put it in a notebook. Lucky, and others I will keep around for a little while, because my ds sometimes has to cut out pics for homework, but then I toss.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

I tear out anything I want to keep (i.e. recipes, pics) and store it in one of those accordion folders. Then I toss the mag. I am too OCD for clutter. icon_lol.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 9

Recipes - yes I would think it best to tear and sort out in afolder, but sometimes a food magazine has way too many good ones or sometimes a certain recipe doesnt appeal to me but 6 months later I am like how did I miss THAT!!!
Other articles that are nice to read, I used to tear out too but then who goes and actually re-reads them again?! Atleast in the magazine it stays neat and orderly...you know what I mean?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

Recipes - yes I would think it best to tear and sort out in afolder, but sometimes a food magazine has way too many good ones or sometimes a certain recipe doesnt appeal to me but 6 months later I am like how did I miss THAT!!!
Other articles that are nice to read, I used to tear out too but then who goes and actually re-reads them again?! Atleast in the magazine it stays neat and orderly...you know what I mean?

I don't ever keep articles. I never really read them in the first place. It's mostly recipes and pictures of stuff (for cake inspiration or something else) that I decide to keep. For me, it's much more orderly to have my recipes in the folder, organized into meal types, than for me to have to remember which mag it was in and which issue of that mag...and so on and so on. I'm very OCD about things like that though. icon_wink.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9

I've come to realize that more often than not anything you get in a magazine you can get on the internet as well. Even pictures. I do get some magazines, but usually after a couple of months I will recycle the old ones. If there's something that I want to keep in there I will tear it out and put it in a notebook. Other than that, there's no reason to keep them all. My DH on the other hand LOVES his magazine collection. And collection I mean boxes and boxes of his magazines. They take up a lot of space in our basement. Oh well. Maybe one of these days he'll go through them.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 9

I never keep them - always pass them along to my mother. When she is done with them she takes them to hospital appointments and leaves them behind for others. I always remove the address label. I copy recipes that I want and save them in a folder on the computer.

I did find I was spending a lot of money on them so I limit myself to one subscription now and everything else I read at the library. I only read the articles that interest me. I also take out back issues of magazines.

My DH is another story. He is a woodturner and has boxes of woodturning magazines. We are moving soon and after that I will be getting some sort of organization going for them. Probably cereal boxes cut down and covered in paper.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie

I never keep them - always pass them along to my mother. When she is done with them she takes them to hospital appointments and leaves them behind for others. I always remove the address label. I copy recipes that I want and save them in a folder on the computer.

I did find I was spending a lot of money on them so I limit myself to one subscription now and everything else I read at the library. I only read the articles that interest me. I also take out back issues of magazines.

My DH is another story. He is a woodturner and has boxes of woodturning magazines. We are moving soon and after that I will be getting some sort of organization going for them. Probably cereal boxes cut down and covered in paper.

So your DH is a wood worker too huh? Yep we have probably at least 20 LARGE notebooks filled to the brim with woodworking magazines. Those don't include the ones in our basement. He's supposed to put them on a shelf somewhere. Instead they are laid out next to my bed. Ughhhh!! I hate the clutter! But what are you gonna do? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%