Has Anyone Used Battery Powered Stuff In Cakes Before?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:44am by Chef_Stef

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

Heres an idea that could be neat but not sure how practical. My friend is having a b.day party the same day I have a first large cake order. I would like to do both. I'm tying to decide if I can. Anyways, her son loves planes, trains, motorcycles, ect. I think it would be cool to do a 2 tiered cake like I've seen here w/one train track, next road, and then on the top for the topper a plane rotating around the cake off a wire. where could I buy something to make it rotate and how do I keep it from popping out of the cake? suggestions? anyone ever try this before?

7 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 8

you could check out a train, plane hobby store or buy a toy that is battery operated and use it. To make it stay in the cake I would put the wire through the board that the top cake is on and tape it down good. Duct tape works if it is not touching any other cake or you could put plastic so the tape doesn't touch the cake. I did a fire truck but I bought one that had all the working part and too those parts out and used for my cake, so check the toys store out. Hope this helps.

Sue

Teresa196685 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa196685 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif I love animated cakes I didmy first one back in the summer. It was actually a Grooms cake. When the bride called me with the request I had no clue where to begin. Through research and trial and error I discovered that the typical motor in toys have to many RPMS for what you really need for a cake. They are usually 800-900 rpms (rounds per minute) but I was able to find a motor at a small electronics web by searching the web that builds low rpm motors. I used one that was only 8 rpms. They are very expensive though so you will want to be sure you ask for it back to reuse. ( $ 26.00 +s&h )

Teresa196685 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 8

I am sorry I should have mentioned that there a couple of pictures of that cake in my photos. I am sure you will do a great JOB!!!

shell62995 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 8

i was thinking of walking through a toy store or hobby lobby. (my 2yr old would love that idea!lol) But I didnt think of rpms! I just worried about the weight of the plane and it being too heavy. GOOD P:OINT!! thanks. off to check out the website! thumbs_up.gif

shell62995 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa196685

icon_biggrin.gif I love animated cakes I didmy first one back in the summer. It was actually a Grooms cake. When the bride called me with the request I had no clue where to begin. Through research and trial and error I discovered that the typical motor in toys have to many RPMS for what you really need for a cake. They are usually 800-900 rpms (rounds per minute) but I was able to find a motor at a small electronics web by searching the web that builds low rpm motors. I used one that was only 8 rpms. They are very expensive though so you will want to be sure you ask for it back to reuse. ( $ 26.00 +s&h )

do you remember the website you found it at?

Teresa196685 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 8

icon_smile.gif I will send you pm with the company name and the info that I have. I sorry it has taken so long I had to look up my invoice from when I ordered it . I hope it will be some help to you.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:44am
post #8 of 8

Well, I've seen Duff do it, so it can be done, but dang if I've ever tried it. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%