Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Squeeky3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Squeeky3 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 7:19am
post #5611 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

How long do you bake yours? Mine are 325 for an hour with Bake Even strips. I get nothing but raves - never hada complaint. You can use 1/3 c oil instead of 1/4 c and add a little more liquid to make them lighter.

Thanks, MacsMom. I bake them at the same temperature and leave them for an hour, sometimes a little more because I feel it's not baking all the way through. I take them out as soon as they're done and let them cool in the pan, to make sure that the bottom of the cake is still cooking. I've had issues with cakes not baking all the way through. I think something's up with my oven!

But anyway, after my problems, I baked them again and lowered the oil a teeeeny bit AND made sure not to overmix the batter. I keep it on the speed after 'stir' on the kitchenaid for 2 mins (scraping the bowl in between) and then pour into the pans. It seemed to turn out well and I didn't get complaints with those cakes (thank goodness!)

I just get so paranoid now :/

Btw, everyone loves the pistachio cardamom cake, yum! I'm going to try the Chocolate Chip Cookie cake next

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #5612 of 6536

Good to know Squeaky! Glad they're working out for you now.
Has anyone every tried olive oil in their cakes? I found some chocolate, meyer lemon and vanilla bean olive oil and tasted their cupcakes that they made with it. They were scratch cake recipes though. Very yummy!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #5613 of 6536
Quote:

[How long do you bake yours? Mine are 325 for an hour with Bake Even strips. I get nothing but raves - never hada complaint. You can use 1/3 c oil instead of 1/4 c and add a little more liquid to make them lighter.

I use bake even strips too and bake for about an hr depending on the size. I am confused at adding more oil and liquid to the recipe to lighten it up, wouldn't it make it more moist????

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:19pm
post #5614 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Quote:

[How long do you bake yours? Mine are 325 for an hour with Bake Even strips. I get nothing but raves - never hada complaint. You can use 1/3 c oil instead of 1/4 c and add a little more liquid to make them lighter.

I use bake even strips too and bake for about an hr depending on the size. I am confused at adding more oil and liquid to the recipe to lighten it up, wouldn't it make it more moist????

It makes it less dense - should've said "lighter crumb".

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #5615 of 6536

Hi everyone!

I'm going to try out the cheesecake filling...I was wondering if I whip bettercreme and then fold in the marscapone cheese and sweetened milk? I wanted to make a pineapple cheesecake for the tropical breeze cake. Or what other filling goes with that cake?

Squeeky3 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:08am
post #5616 of 6536

Here's a question that may also be a cause to the texture of my cakes ...

Do store bought cake mixes have baking soda mixed into them?

I make my own cake mix batches and it works well with these recipes we've been using. But my cake mix recipe doesn't call for baking soda and I don't add any to the recipes ... so I wanted to know if it matters that I use it or not?

If I should use it in my recipes .... how much should I add to a 2 cake mix recipe?

Thanks!!

GrandmaG Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm
post #5617 of 6536

Have you already added baking powder to your homemade mixes?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5618 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Hi everyone!

I'm going to try out the cheesecake filling...I was wondering if I whip bettercreme and then fold in the marscapone cheese and sweetened milk? I wanted to make a pineapple cheesecake for the tropical breeze cake. Or what other filling goes with that cake?

Yes, whip it first and fold it in icon_smile.gif Banana mousse is also good with the tropical, it mellows out the flavors a bit. I have also used a coconut truffle (8 oz cream chz, 12 oz white chocolate, coconut extract) and coconut or pineapple pastry filling. Try 2 filling layers with different fillings!

Squeeky3 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5619 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Oh yes ... the dry ingredients in my cake mix consists of flour, baking powder, salt, cornstarch, and sugar

I was reading that baking soda is often used recipes that call for sour cream or yoghourt ... I think I'll experiment next time just to see the difference

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:02pm
post #5620 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Hi everyone!

Yes, whip it first and fold it in icon_smile.gif Banana mousse is also good with the tropical, it mellows out the flavors a bit. I have also used a coconut truffle (8 oz cream chz, 12 oz white chocolate, coconut extract) and coconut or pineapple pastry filling. Try 2 filling layers with different fillings!

Thanks macsmom...how do I do a banana mousse? The pastry filling...are you talking about sleeve fillings? So it would be a layer of pineapple filling and then the coconut truffle?

I'm doing a tasting and using that cake and want to nail down the flavor with the filling icon_smile.gif which one do you primarily use?

jjjgcshannon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjjgcshannon Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #5621 of 6536

WOW!!! What a treasure chest of info!!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

GrandmaG Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5622 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeky3

Quote:

Oh yes ... the dry ingredients in my cake mix consists of flour, baking powder, salt, cornstarch, and sugar

I was reading that baking soda is often used recipes that call for sour cream or yoghourt ... I think I'll experiment next time just to see the difference

I wouldn't think you would have to add baking soda also then but experiment and let us know! Make sure you weigh your homemade ingredients. Might be different than the box mix weight and measurements. That could make a big difference too.

babylittrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babylittrell Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5623 of 6536

OMG!! My mouth's watering... Sounds delicious!!!

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm
post #5624 of 6536

Macsmom--If you bake the orange Dreamsicle cake with the vanilla mousse filling what do you frost with??
and do you have the recipe for the vanilla mousse on your link??

lisamarie826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamarie826 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #5625 of 6536

I made the Nilla wafer cake last weekend and Oh my was it delish! I was eating the cake scraps with the filling just spooned on. Used a banana mousse for the filling. I have yet to find Bettercreme, frostin pride, or anything similar so I used homemade whipped cream with banana cream pudding mixed in till it was thick, it was so good too. I meant to cut up some fresh bananas but completely forgot until it was already finished and iced with regular buttercream. I would definately make it again. thanks for the recipes ladies! I am just beginning to venture into cake making and decorating so I'm so happy I found this thread.

Squeeky3 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:07pm
post #5626 of 6536
Quote:

I wouldn't think you would have to add baking soda also then but experiment and let us know! Make sure you weigh your homemade ingredients. Might be different than the box mix weight and measurements. That could make a big difference too.

Thanks for your feedback, GrandmaG!

The cake mix recipe I use says 4.5 cups will give you the same amount of packaged cake mix. So that's how much I've been using as my base. Maybe I'll try to see what 4 cups will do.

Question about the Cookie Dough Filling:
I'm having difficulty finding white chocolate pudding mix, going to try again tonight but if I can't find it, which other pudding mix can I substitute it for?

Here's the recipe:
2 cups Bettercreme
1 small pkg. White Chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Whip 2 cups liquid Bettercreme with small pkg. pudding until thick. Refrigerate.
Cream butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add water and vanilla. Gradually add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cake layer and cover with Bettercreme mixture.

Thanks!

GrandmaG Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:37pm
post #5627 of 6536

Cheesecake would work. Do you have a Walmart? That's where I find mine.

Squeeky3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #5628 of 6536
Quote:

Cheesecake would work. Do you have a Walmart? That's where I find mine.

Yes, I checked there but they don't seem to carry many flavours these days icon_sad.gif

No luck again today, boo!

abqgreene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abqgreene Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:15am
post #5629 of 6536

I got this from Paula Deen's website. It is supposed to be for truffles, but I just mixed in some buttercream. It is great because the consistency is just like cookie dough but it doesn't need refrigeration.
Ingredients Add

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate morsels
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions

In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and add milk. Add chocolate morsels and pecans, mixing well.

lisamarie826 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #5630 of 6536

Made the Orange Dreamsicle this morning. One wasc batch made 2 9inch cakes and 11 cupcakes. So of course I had to try 1 of the cuppies and they were so stinkin good! I've read some had trouble with their cakes sinking so I was a little concerned but mine rose beautifuly. I'm going to fill them with vanilla mousse and ice with orange flavored buttercream. Can't wait to get it completely finished. YUM!!

Squeeky3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5631 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie826

Made the Orange Dreamsicle this morning. One wasc batch made 2 9inch cakes and 11 cupcakes. So of course I had to try 1 of the cuppies and they were so stinkin good! I've read some had trouble with their cakes sinking so I was a little concerned but mine rose beautifuly. I'm going to fill them with vanilla mousse and ice with orange flavored buttercream. Can't wait to get it completely finished. YUM!!

That's great! Did you follow the recipe in the document? I plan to make that for my 3rd anniversary at the end of the month so really looking forward to it!

I have the Chocolate Chip Cookie cake in the oven right now ... hope it turns out!

Squeeky3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:37pm
post #5632 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene

I got this from Paula Deen's website. It is supposed to be for truffles, but I just mixed in some buttercream. It is great because the consistency is just like cookie dough but it doesn't need refrigeration.
Ingredients Add

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and add milk. Add chocolate morsels and pecans, mixing well.

This sounds good too! Thanks ... did you mix in the buttercream after you made this? I may give it a try

lisamarie826 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #5633 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

That's great! Did you follow the recipe in the document? I plan to make that for my 3rd anniversary at the end of the month so really looking forward to it!

I have the Chocolate Chip Cookie cake in the oven right now ... hope it turns out!

Yes I followed in exactly without any problems. I didn't use a flower nail or bake even strips (haven't a clue what those are or where to get them) just poured them in the pan and stuck them in the oven. The chocolate chip cookie cake sounds awesome. let us know how it turns out.

lisamarie826 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5634 of 6536

I'm really wanting to try to make a blueberry cake with lemon or vanilla mousse or cheesecake filling and cream cheese icing. I know some ppl have mentioned it but I never saw a recipe so here is what I was thinking

2 boxes white cake mix
2c flour
1 3/4c sugar
1 1/2t salt
1 1/3c blueberry puree
1 1/3c water
2 (6oz) blueberry yogurt
9 egg whites
1/4 c oil
1-2 drams LoRann blueberry extract

GrandmaG Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #5635 of 6536

There's a blueberry citrus cake recipe on the recipe file but I've never tried a straight blueberry flavored cake before. Let us know how it turns out!

lisamarie826 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:23pm
post #5636 of 6536

I finally got my orange dreamsicle filled and iced and got to try a piece of it (I had only tried the cupcakes before) and it was sooo good. I actually liked it better without the icing. I didn't have time to get Lorann orange flavor so I used McCormick's orange extract, maybe that's the culprit, but I wasn't crazy about the orange flavored buttercream. I think I would have preferred regular, but that's just me.

For all those who can't get bettercreme or anything equivalent, I used homemade whipped cream with a package of vanilla pudding mixed in and it worked great. I have kept if refrigerated but was still concerned about it not holding up as well or sinking into the cake, but it tasted great and held up wonderful.

abqgreene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abqgreene Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm
post #5637 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene

Ingredients Add

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cup all-purpose flour

Directions

This sounds good too! Thanks ... did you mix in the buttercream after you made this? I may give it a try

I do mix it after. I'm thinking about two cups, but I do it by eye, so I'm not sure. Please let me know how it works out for you. Good Luck@

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:15am
post #5638 of 6536
Quote:

I finally got my orange dreamsicle filled and iced and got to try a piece of it (I had only tried the cupcakes before) and it was sooo good. I actually liked it better without the icing. I didn't have time to get Lorann orange flavor so I used McCormick's orange extract, maybe that's the culprit, but I wasn't crazy about the orange flavored buttercream. I think I would have preferred regular, but that's just me.

For all those who can't get bettercreme or anything equivalent, I used homemade whipped cream with a package of vanilla pudding mixed in and it worked great. I have kept if refrigerated but was still concerned about it not holding up as well or sinking into the cake, but it tasted great and held up wonderful.

I'm about to make this cake now. Do you just follow the same directions as making the WASC cake? Dry ingredients then wet and mix for 2 minutes?

lisamarie826 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:47pm
post #5639 of 6536

so sorry I didn't get an email alert. Yes you make it the same as wasc.
I made lemon cupcakes last night and they were awesome.

I used the Lemon recipe in the google docs by macsmom but with the following changes. I did half a recipe.

2 c white cake mix
2 c lemon cake mix
1c flour
1c minus 1T sugar
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/3 c water
1 c sour cream
4 egg whites
1/8 c oil
1t lemon extract
zest of 3 lemons

I don't like an overpowering flavor of any kind, and this lemon hand just enough flavor. then I paired it with lemon cream cheese icing and for the filling mixed a little of the plain cream cheese icing with a spoonful of blueberry preserves. so so so good!
[/quote]

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5640 of 6536

Macsmom I'm making your red velvet cake again today (love it an I don't really care for rv cake) and for the past 4 days no supermarket had any vanilla pudding. I do have a little bit left in the box from a cake I did last week...it's about 2 T. You told me in a previous post (I told you about the choclate taste I experienced with the rv) that you add 4T of vanilla and 2T of chocolate pudding. Is this amount for the full recipe or half (I always do half)? I do have a box of white chocolate pudding and was wondering if I could use 2T of each (van., white chocolate and chocolate pudding) or should I just eliminate the vanilla and do 4T of wc pudding? I'm concerned about the flavor being way off from how I know your recipe is supposed to taste.

Does anyone used Macsmoms rv recipe and substitute white chocolate pudding for the vanilla; I would love to know what you all thought about the taste. Has anyone tried Macsmoms recipe as is then made it again with the wc pudding; any comparison?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%