Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3331 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe1

I am making the Almond Joy cake and had a question. It calls for white chocolate coconut creamer. Is that a liquid or powder? Thanks

It's from International Delight, a liquid creamer. If you can't find it, just use vanilla creamer or chocolate milk and add 3 tsp coconut extract to the chocolate cake batter.

MacsMom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3332 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Tapered cakes need to be a dense cake, not too moist. It was pure gravity that caused it to crack.

So should I not use the Tiramisu cake for such a cake in the future (carved or tapered)? If that's the case would I be able to add espresso powder or instant coffee to the batter? It just had a good flavor---I love coffee flavored cakes--but don't want a flop in the future. Or should I just not put as much espresso syrup on the cake?

Just leave out any pudding mix and add 8 oz melted white chocolate. Less syrup wouldn't hurt! icon_wink.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #3333 of 6536

Thanks so much! I'll try to remember that for the future!

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3334 of 6536

So my original plan was to make my mom's birthday cake as a white cake filled with dulce de leche, with white chocolate ganache....

But a coworker lent me her Betty Crocker 'Bake 'n Fill' pan, and it looks rather neat.. so I'm now going to make a vanilla cake, and fill the centre with triple berry (no bake) cheese cake filling, and then ice it in vanilla buttercream with some of the berries (put through a food processor) stirred in and topped with fresh berries.... I sure hope this works!

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3335 of 6536

Like I really needed to add to all the recipes I want to try, then I find this site! Thougt I'd share:

http://www.cakespy.com/

The hummingbird cake looks really good!

obe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obe1 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3336 of 6536

This might be a stupid question but when making the almond joy cake it calls for pudding mix. Does that mean instant pudding mix or the pudding mix that you need to cook?
Thanks for all the help MacsMom

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3337 of 6536

Obe, when a cake calls for pudding mix it's generally the instant pudding mix (not made up pudding from the mix) added with the dry ingredients of the cake mix. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3338 of 6536

Is anyone having problems with this site? I am still getting the same home page as I did last night and the cakes are the same as well. They are behind 9 pages in the gallery.

kilikina_24 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3339 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Is anyone having problems with this site? I am still getting the same home page as I did last night and the cakes are the same as well. They are behind 9 pages in the gallery.

Not just you--I've noticed the same thing for a couple of days now.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3340 of 6536

You can submit bug reports here: http://cakecentral.com/trouble.php

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3341 of 6536

Thanks . I sent in a report.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #3342 of 6536

So what are we all baking this week?? I'm doing a strawberry WASC, a regular WASC and a chocolate (to die for) from scratch cake. Yes, gotta love those testers! (Especially the leftovers!) icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3343 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

So what are we all baking this week?? I'm doing a strawberry WASC, a regular WASC and a chocolate (to die for) from scratch cake. Yes, gotta love those testers! (Especially the leftovers!) icon_biggrin.gif

I have a rainbowlicious (I hate making those) and a German Chocolate - lol, it's not even on my list! I'm sooo using canned filling icon_rolleyes.gif

grannmawlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannmawlynne Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3344 of 6536

Does the pudding need to be sugar free or reg? Does it matter or change the taste?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3345 of 6536

You can use either one but you can definitely taste the sugar free in fillings so I wouldn't recommend that. I think Macsmom uses the sugar free in her WASC's. I prefer the regular.

grannmawlynne Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3346 of 6536

Thank you. I think I will use the reg. pudding,then.

dandelion56602 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:14pm
post #3347 of 6536

I just delivered a banana split (my first "gourmet" flavor"). I do banana cake w/ strawberry filling & a thin layer of ganache

GrandmaG Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3348 of 6536

I'm going to make the smores with cupcakes. Fill with milk chocolate ganache and top with marshmallow meringue and torch it to look like roasted marshmallows.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3349 of 6536

RUN! Don't walk to the store for this new product..... icon_biggrin.gif

Last night I made a FANTASTIC filling for a cake made with white cake mix (extender version) with Lorann Baravian cream and Cream Brulee coffee creamer. The filling was french vanilla pudding (made with ~1 cup milk) and a jar of Smucker's new Apple Cinnamon topping. WOW! Tasted like apple pie a'la mode!!!!

AFter I wrote that, I'm wondering why I want my cake to taste like pie????? icon_eek.gif

Now for a question for you experts: My buttercream--a recipe which I've used often and LOVE--came out crustier than ever. Too much liquid and not enough shortening? I made it pretty thin to crumb coat because the fudge chocolate layer was the crumbiest (not crummiest!) cake I've ever made! Will frost the layers tonight, but would like an opinion as to why it was soooooo crusty. It did great for the crumb, but would probably crack if it was that crusty on the cake.

TIA!

kilikina_24 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3350 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I'm going to make the smores with cupcakes. Fill with milk chocolate ganache and top with marshmallow meringue and torch it to look like roasted marshmallows.

Yum!! I made the s'mores with cupcakes too and they are really yummy--but I made a marshmallow filling and topped with chocolate buttercream---your way sounds soooo much yummier and original!! Are you going to post pics?? I'd love to see them!! icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3351 of 6536

I'll probably post them on the cupcake thread but I will post the link here if you want.
That apple cinnamon topping sounds so good! I hope I can find some. I see it's a limited addtion.

MacsMom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3352 of 6536

Just a head's up:

I will be on vacation until August 8th icon_cool.gif . (In case anyone wonders why I haven't answered a PM)...

Happy baking!

dandelion56602 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3353 of 6536

Take me with you MacsMom!!!! I'm hoping my dh takes me away after school starts back & babysitters are back in the country (grandparents gone until Sept). Oooohhhh enjoy your time!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3354 of 6536

Macsmom: You lucky dog! Hard to believe that you won't be on the computer tho!!!! icon_surprised.gif Have a good time.

Woe is me. I have 124 more days till we board a ship in Barcelona for a 14-night TransAtlantic cruise!

grannmawlynne Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3355 of 6536

I want to make the white chocolate raspberry cake, but can only find the Torani syrup in reg. Should I cut the sugar in half? Calls for 2 c. of sugar and 1 1/3 c of sugar free syrup.

GrandmaG Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3356 of 6536

Is it a cake mix cake? If it is then I would just use half of syrup and half water or milk. Cut the sugar to 1 and a half C.
If it's a scratch mix then I wouldn't mess with the sugar amount but cut back on the syrup and add water or milk to make the liquid amount.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #3357 of 6536

Does anyone know a good sugar free cake recipe and icing?? My FIL is diabetic. I browsed through some recipes here on CC but none seem too catch my attention. Thanks

grannmawlynne Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #3358 of 6536

It's the one that is on the doc. from this thread.

GrandmaG Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #3359 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannmawlynne

It's the one that is on the doc. from this thread.

Ok. I would use 1 1/2 C. sugar and use half Torani and half milk. If you use full Torani it will probably sink in the middle. If you use a White chocolate frosting that will really bring out the white chocolate flavor also.

jacks30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacks30 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #3360 of 6536

these flavors sound absolutely delicious. I am looking forward to trying some out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%