1.09.09 Friday Night Cake Club?

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm by cdavis

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:56am
post #1 of 24

Leahs, Are you taking tonight off?

Anyone else on tonight? I have a whopper of a cake tonight....get this...

A "jack of all trades" type cake. 16 YO boy. It includes ALL of the following...
soccer, golf, boston red sox, skiing, fire exlorer, emt explorer, drama at school, porsche, audi, hummer2, photography

I'll be up all night-taking breaks to check in here.

23 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 24

Heavens! I'm working on my "Ultimate Throwdown" cake tonight... I know, not due until the 24th, but I have people coming over next week, and I do NOT want to have to eat all of it myself! My size 16 hips can't take it anymore...

It's gonna be AWESOME... icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 24

Hey, instead of putting the Red Sox logo (who suck by the way- yeah, I said it). Put a big 'ol YANKEES logo on it and write, "GO YANKS from: Tita9499". That ought to get you some repeat business. LOL! Don't forget to post the pics

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 24

I am actually getting to bed at a decent hour this week, slow week for me but have been working on wedding cake displays for a bridal show next week. Have 6 done and 5 more to go WOOHOO icon_smile.gif feels like they are taking me forever haha

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 24

I'm here - but only working on one double layer sheet cake -- for my son to take back to college to his fraternity!! Why I was even careful NOT to get the chocolate cake crumbs in the icing - I'll never know -- those guys will inhale once and the cake will be gone and I'm not sure they will even 'taste' it!! Gotta love those AGR's though!!

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 24

Hi all! How is everyone? I'm doing a retirement cake for my sister. Just taking a break to see who's up with me. I have to be at my real job in the morning. Hopefully, I'll get a couple hours of sleep.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:32am
post #7 of 24

I am just sitting here pondering why I accepted a job today making one of those cupcake cakes...I HATE making cupcakes...I just can't help myself!

imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:38am
post #8 of 24

Tita, I would love to do a yankees logo instead- it's way easier...this cake is so busy with stuff they might not even notice, lol!

Suzy, you're sure to score points with a cake for the guys-forget the crumbs--just slap some icing on it, you're right, they'll never notice! Probably won't even use forks.... icon_lol.gif

Kansawolf, any hints on your design?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:40am
post #9 of 24

I'm just finishing up for tonight. My cake, which is a two-tiered number for my friend's 15-year-old daughter's birthday, is not due until Sunday. I have almost everything done except the decorating. This one has multiple colors of fondant, various cut-outs, loopy bow on top, etc. It's a fun one, but I'm looking forward to having it done.

kansaswolf Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #10 of 24

imakecakes - I really want to talk about my design, because I'm SO excited about it! I'm trying some new techniques (new to ME, anyway!), and my trial run went swimmingly! Now if I can just get my buttercream to cooperate... I think I need to add some more PS to it. Good thing I just went to the store! icon_biggrin.gif

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:57am
post #11 of 24

I'm up too! Baby shower cake for 85 people. Should have been done by now but had a funeral to go to, chasing around my 4 mo & 20 mo old for the rest of the day & yes, I admit, goofed around for a few hours tonight when I should have been workin' - so here I am taking a moment while my icing sets. My 4 mo old will wake soon for food....why even bother going to sleep?!?!

kansaswolf Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:01am
post #12 of 24

Ooh, I have a 5mo, so I feel your pain...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:03am
post #13 of 24

I am just finishing up my last cake of the week. I had eight party cakes this week, no weddings. Four of them were tospy turvey cakes, one was a justice league cake, another annversary cake and a baby shower cake. But the one I just finished was for a birthday party for 200 people. Its a four tiered square cake and it goes down as being one of the stranger cakes. The bottom half of the cake looks like a nice elegant cake, it is a tan color with chocolate brown edging, quilted buttercream and gold dragees. but on the top there gold ribbon going down the cake and 1000 and 100 dollar bills coming out of the top of the cake. (i did them on ediable paper) I dont know why the customer wanted this, but I hate it. It just looks strange to me. (although I don't know, I haven't had much sleep in the past week with all these cakes to do!) There is this one baby shower cake I have done so many times of just a two tiered, fondant covered with a baby sleeping on top that I litterally did do it in my sleep last night! hahaha!

Anyway, have a good weekend!!

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:07am
post #14 of 24

Here's my friday night project. Hope they like it. It is for a little boy's first birthday. I charged half what I should have. I'd love some positive comments. Thanks.[/img]
LL

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:15am
post #15 of 24

It loks amazing.. What a great job... I love it!!
I have 3 orders, 2 are cupcake towers & one is a strawberryshortcake order. One of the towers is for tomorrow, We're supposed to get hit with a snow storm tomorrow, so I'm not even sure if the place will be open or not (It is a YMCA party)
Any one else from New England?l

imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #16 of 24

I am always so amazed by how much you professionals do at once! Just one topsy turvey cake would have had me up all night and yet you did FOUR of them??? I bow to the masters!

I just finished the Audi part of my cake. It's half of a 3D car on one end of the 3 layered sheet cake. I filled half the car pan with raw rice covered in foil so my batter was only in the hood side of the pan. (They only need this cake to feed 30 people and I have already made it much bigger than that-thus wanting to scale down the car) It worked beautifully--sometimes I impress myself! When it actually came out of the pan, my 10YO said I was a genius!

Next up, a firetruck on another side....

imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:22am
post #17 of 24

cdavis, your cake is awesome! I love the crown! I have never tried the diamond pattern, b/c I know I would never get the points to match up right. You did it wonderfully, tho!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #18 of 24

Cdavis - your cake is great! I love all the details but especially the crown -- I have yet to be successful in making a crown and keeping it in one piece!!

I'm finished with the frat cake! And I'm off to bed! Good luck everyone --

I'll be here next week - working on a 3D Elmo - (UGH!)

Nite - Nite all

Suze

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #19 of 24

Nica cake cdavis!!! icon_smile.gif
Its 8.30am here in South Africa and Im starting on a gift cake for a bridal shower, TG the cake only needs to be delivered by 4pm and all the pieces are dry, just need to cover the cake and assemble the rest of the goodies. Am starting on that as soon as my cornflakes are finished.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #20 of 24

I'm so happy you started FNCC! I was searching for it a few hours ago. Tonight is my first "real" time making cakes for pay. I have two 2 tier cakes - one for a vow renewal and one for a little girl's party. I had wanted to bake everything yesterday, but had to run out and blah blah - only got one of the cakes baked. (I have a small kitchen aid). Anywho, vow renewal cake is frosted and basically done. I just have to add a ribbon border and dowel it. Its black satin ribbon - should I iron it with waxed paper or something before I put it on the cake or will the grease not show because it's black?

The little girl's cake is going to have me up all night. I'm a slow caker! lol. Off to make MMF. I'm so giddy, I feel like a "real" baker! lol

cdavis - did you use a cutter to make the diamond pattern? They look so uniform and perfect!

imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:39am
post #21 of 24

sayhellojana- Congrats on your paying orders! What are you doing with the little girl's cake? I have never used ribbon on a cake so i can't help you. Wish I could. Did you search the forums? I know I've seen the topic discussed before.

Carissa- The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I made 2 cakes to feed 80 people at a bd party. Snowstorm hit, I called the lady to make sure she still needed that many servings-she said yes. I spent hours decorating and then delivered the cakes through the snow--there were about 15-20 people there! They were freebies so I was extra mad!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:52am
post #22 of 24

The little girl's cake is white, pink and purple with stripes on the bottom and quilted pattern w/ daisies at the intersections on the top tier. bow on top + her mother's plastic topper.
Got everything covered in fondant. Should go by pretty quick now.

I will but some buttercream on the ribbon and let you know if it gets greasy

imakecakes Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:24am
post #23 of 24

That sounds very pretty-I love girl's cakes!

I'm fading fast...Think I better get a couple hours sleep and pick up in the morning. Good luck to you finishing up! thanks for the chat!

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks for the comments. Each tier is frosted in buttercream and the stripes, circles and diamonds are fondant. The little silver balls are pearls rolled in silver luster dust. For the diamonds, I use a wilton square cutter and just pinch it in at the sides some to make it more diamond and less square. Hope that helps someone else. The crown was just a piece of gumpaste/fondant mix that I rolled out, hand cut the notches wrapped it around a glass jar and tied a ribbon around the top where I wanted it to hold but not all the way to the top because I wanted the points of the crown to fall out so I pulled them away from the jar slightly. I let it dry 2 days and then sprayed it with luster dust mixed with vodka. Thanks again and I hope everyone else's projects went smoothly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%