Avocado Icing?

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 12:39am by ceshell

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 19

So I was watching an episode on the Food Network last night . . . trying to remember the name of the show. Hmmmm, I had it a minute ago but now it has escaped me. I hate when that happens.

Anyhoos, it was on avocados (which I love), and they were talking about how in some countries, Avocados are used to make ice cream because they have many properties similar to eggs and the flavor is so mild. And then they did a bit where, because of the fat content, you can replace the shortening in frosting with avocados for green icing.

They made a lemon flavored icing with avocados, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract and then iced a cake with it.

Curious, has anybody ever tried this? I may try it for kicks (for myself, not someone else's cake.)

18 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 19

Alton Brown's Good Eats was the show. I haven't tried it though. I do love me some avocados, though I'd much rather eat them as guacamole. icon_wink.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 19

I LOVE avocados! But I can't imaging eating them as a frosting. But I'm sure I'm wrong. I agree with jkalman, guacamole is my favorite way to eat avocados. Avocado soup is good too! I hope someone has tried the avocado buttercream, I'm curious.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 19
Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 19

I have never made the buttercream, but I have had key lime pie that was avocado based and soooo good. I think it would probably be really yummy assuming you are careful with flavorings and colorings, and I bet it would be great in chocolate (but expensive)

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 19

I can imagine it taste a bit similar to the avocado shakes they sell at the asian stores or restaurants here in California. I know a bit weird when you think about avocado in a shake, but people swear by it and say it taste soo good. I don't think it taste so much like avocado since it is a bit bland but maybe with a good lemon cake, hey just might try it.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 19

Wouldnt it discolor and turn brown?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 19

Hmm...I don't know about avocado icing. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. I absolutely adore avocado shakes. It sounded so odd to me, but was incredibly delicious!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 19

I've actually made it before. I don't like avocados, but I do like this frosting. Make sure the avocado is mashed really well or you get chunks in your frosting...yuck. It's really good with lemon and white cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:07am
post #10 of 19

We actually use avocado as a part of dessert here. Just mash the meat, mix in milk and some sugar. We also add it milk shakes. So yummy!!!!

CookieMeister Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

Wouldnt it discolor and turn brown?

That's why you use lemon juice in the recipe - to keep it from browning.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by toristreats

I've actually made it before. I don't like avocados, but I do like this frosting. Make sure the avocado is mashed really well or you get chunks in your frosting...yuck. It's really good with lemon and white cake.

That's good to know. I'm always looking for better frosting recipes. I hate avocados, but if you can only taste the lemon. I might be all for this recipe!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 19

At the cost of avacados today, I'd rather have mine in guacamole! If you can't taste it in the icing, why go to that expense? Just wondering.

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

At the cost of avacados today, I'd rather have mine in guacamole! If you can't taste it in the icing, why go to that expense? Just wondering.

Healthier icing is what I'm thinking. But I do love me some guac!

My grocery store had avocados on sale 10 for $10 the other day. My entire crisper in my fridge is full of them right now. icon_biggrin.gif

toristreats Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 19

It's kind of fun to serve avocado frosting and then tell the people what it is. Most people are surprised. I'm not sure it would be healthier. Avocados are chock full of fat and cholesterol. Oh and the frosting ends up a nasty green. But it's yummy.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 19

Avocados have no cholesterol. Cholesterol comes from animal products, not fruits and vegetables. They do have a lot of fat, but it is the good kind which helps reduce cholesterol.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:40am
post #17 of 19

Actually there is no cholesterol in avocados since they're plants, but you're right about the fat. However it's monounsaturated, one of the best fats you can eat (along the lines of olive oil). But instead of straight fat, you are also getting the fiber and nutrients. Still, I would need a few more rave reviews of the recipe before I'd try it, just because I hate wasting ingredients (and also I'm not very adventurous icon_redface.gif.

Thanks for the feedback on it toristreats! Come on, any more takers??

ETA: whoops, tazmycat beat me to it on that info. For some reason p.2 of the thread didn't show up for me til I posted. Sorry for the redundant info!

toristreats Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmycat

Avocados have no cholesterol. Cholesterol comes from animal products, not fruits and vegetables. They do have a lot of fat, but it is the good kind which helps reduce cholesterol.

If this is true why, when I'm on a cholesterol reducing, diet does my doctor tells me to avoid avocados. Not that it matters anyway. I don't like them...except in this frosting.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #19 of 19

I don't know, that's really odd, and flies in the face of everything I've ever read about avocados. Mind you, I am not a doctor...but some of the studies I've read were legitimate medical studies. I would assume he just wanted you to avoid fatty foods, and as discussed they are absolutely high in fat. But there is much literature pointing to evidence that consumption of monounsaturated fats (including and especially avocados) lowers cholesterol.

If your doctor thinks avocados actually HAVE cholesterol I would find another doctor! icon_eek.gif This dr's blog is kind of funny, he specifically addresses an issue where he met someone whose dr. told her the same thing. http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2003/05/25/avocado-pears/

Do ya know, I have a recipe book which subs some of the fat in chocolate cake with avocado. They swear you can't taste it as long as you let it cool first. I haven't tried it yet. Would be interesting to try w/avocado frosting. Maybe I'll test it out on some unsuspecting preschoolers...I just love "healthing up" their snacks LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%