How Would You Do This Cake? Is It Real Lace?

Decorating By ChristieFinkle Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm by -K8memphis

ChristieFinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieFinkle Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 23

I would like to do this cake, but I'm just not sure if this is icing or real lace? Have you seen this cake before? It's just awesome!
Thanks for your help,
Christie
LL
LL

22 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 23

It looks like real lace over fondant but not sure. Just wanted to give you a bump.

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 23

Sugarveil maybe?

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 23

I have seen one before that was iced to look like a grandmothers favourite lace tablecloth, it had fondant ribbon but two of the grandmother's brooches set into the fondant ribbon to look as if they were pinned on. The lace design was of a much simpler style.The girl had requested it in rememberance of her gran for her own wedding day. I am no expert but the way the lace is pulled, and the intricate nature of it suggests to me it is real lace and ribbon over a plainly iced cake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 23

The boxes don't look even enough for it to be real....I'm wondering if it is that special icing (forget the name) that dries to a flexible finish....

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 23

I don't think there is any way you could get real lace to lay that flat on a round cake without having wrinkles and puckers in it. I also think it's sugarviel.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 23

I think its sugarveil.....

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 23

Could just be really really well piped RI.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 23

Here's one that is done with piping and fondant lace molds and cutters.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/lace1.htm

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 23

That cake was done by Ron Ben-Isreal, so I'm sure every bit is sugar. I would do fondant or gumpaste lace pieces & pipe the rest.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 23

I think sugarveil as well!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 23

I to am thinking it is sugarveil, because something like this could be done with the sugarveil. I am thinking it is on their web site, were they show them doing lace right on the girl, as part of the wedding gown.

On the other hand after seeing Earlene's cakes with the lace look, it might not be the sugarveil. Wow! Earlene did an amazing job on those cakes.

Hope you find the answer, good luck.
God Bless,
Sharon

zzzorba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zzzorba Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 23

Yeah, I'm sure its just royal. That cake came out several years ago (I did a replica 3-4 summers ago) and it was before sugarveil, or at least before it was mainsteam enough for me to hear about it. also there are no pleats or anything that woul hint at a solid piece being draped.

The way I did mine: place all the fondant appliques where you want them, pipe the squared lace pattern all over, add dots, then add ribbons and bows.

Heres mine:

http://www.spdak.com/pictures/lilies%20in%20lace.htm

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #14 of 23

I think it's just lace pieces and piping. You can cut certain lace pieces apart for smaller pcs.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #15 of 23

I would say that it's sugar veil. You would make a pattern of the lace that you want, then lay down parchment over it and pipe your sugar veil right over the pattern and when it dries you carefully lift it and drape it over the cake. I want to try it so badly! Good luck!

ChristieFinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieFinkle Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #16 of 23

Thanks so much for all your help! Okay, sugarveil? Help!

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #17 of 23

Here's the website. You have to buy the mix from them, they have a demo CD and specialized tools for it, but I have heard that it's not worth paying for their special dispenser thingy. Apparently it's not the highest quality piece of equipment you will ever use and you mightbe better off just piping it by hand. Having said that though, if I could afford it I would be tempted to buy the whole darn kit to play with. I had seen a post with a recipe that was supposed to be similar in texture and workability to sugarveil but for the life of me I cannot find it now. Good luck with it!

http://www.sugarveil.com/

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #18 of 23

Can't help with the sugarveil, but I am telling you hon that cake is not made that way. You can do it and it may be easier, but you will have a bit of a draped effect (think of what a piece of fondant does when you put it on - and you won't be able to pull and smooth SV the same way) and not the same look at all.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #19 of 23

I saw Earlene Moore at the Southeast Texas club Day of Sharing a few years ago. She demonstrated using lace pieces, overpiping in specific areas and connecting the lace pieces with piping. All of the piping was done with her handmade royal icing made with lemon juice. I was impressed!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #20 of 23

I too am thinking fondant appliques w/ royal detail--at least the fondant appliques would be easier than all RI.

One question for you guys---on earlene's site she says all pieces are overpiped--2nd pic down-- what does that mean? (sorry for the hijack)

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #21 of 23

didnt look at the pic, but overpiped generally means one layer (or more) piped over the original layer after it dries enough to support it.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

She demonstrated using lace pieces, overpiping in specific areas and connecting the lace pieces with piping. All of the piping was done with her handmade royal icing made with lemon juice. I was impressed!

I think that is exactly the way to do it
BTW that is a STUNNING cake, would love to attempt something like that!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Could just be really really well piped RI.

That's what I was thinking--or buttercream even maybe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%