Pastillage?gumpaste?i'm Stumped!!!

Decorating By wrd03 Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 5:33am by JanH

wrd03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrd03 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,
I'm completely baffled by all of the choices for molding figures! I have used fondant for a few. They didn't turn out as nicely as I'd hoped. They kind of sagged a bit. I've read in other threads that you can mix in gumpaste. So I started looking at different techniques and "doughs" used. Now I'm just...well, baffled!
I would love some direction!! If anyone has a preference, or mixing ratios, etc.
I'm going to be molding my "dad" and tools, ladders, etc. for his 60th birthday cake. (He's very much the handyman!) I think he will get a real kick out of it! And what I thought was going to be a small family gathering, has turned out to be a big get together at his church for about 70 people!!! icon_eek.gif
Thanks SO very much for any advice!
Kara

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Kara, if you want to do your models, mix 50/50 store bought gumpaste and fondant. Or add 1/2 teaspoon of CMC/tylose to 250g of fondant. That will give you more time to play with it and get the end result you desire.

If you want to make a ladder or a table or a chair or something like that, use pastillage. It will dry really hard. I make it according to Lindy Smiths recipe. If you want it please pm me.

HTH.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%