Cake Toppers Needed

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 9:32pm by aobodessa

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone know where to buy inexpensive cake toppers such as small deer, trees, fishermen, hunters, construction vehicles? Not picks but figures. I checked Oriental Trading but didn't really find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

2 replies
mejawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mejawa Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Amy, I have ordered from Pfeil & Holing and they have great products. Shipping is fast also. Give it a try... www.cakedeco.com

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 3

Amy,

Do you have any "non-cake"-type stores nearby? I'm thinking a place like Cabela's or a camping-themed store may have figurines that would work. Trucks, tractors, "big diggers" (as my grandson calls them) can sometimes be found in the toy department at your local Kmart, Target or Meijer store. Don't forget the dollar stores ... you'd be surprised what you can find there.

The trick is to think outside of the cake box! For instance, I had a bride and groom who were getting married after knowing each other for over 30 years. It was a 2nd marriage for both, and they really liked boating and fishing. They owned a pontoon boat and their home was just off a lake. I recommended a place up here in Michigan called Jay's Sporting Goods (which naturally deals in fishing poles, hunting gear, bows & arrows, rifles, etc......), and just suggested she walk through there with an "open mind". She called me two days later and said she had the perfect topper! It was a small row-boat style boat, with a little motor on the back. Sitting in the boat were 2 black bears - one steering with the motor and one holding up a fish. We glued a tiny boutonniere (a single "bloom" from a barbie doll bouquet) to the driver's lapel and glued a tiny little piece of illusion to the head of the fish-holder and put the remainder of the barbie bouquet in that bear's other hand.

When I set up the cake, the groom had left me dozens of hook-less lures, bobbers and other assorted fishing paraphenalia to put around the base of the cake, which was decorated to look like water (the blue/green sides had some "bubbles" and lake grasses/seaweed piped on them), and the base was surrounded with chocolate river rocks, candy coated chocolate "stones" and brown sugar "sand". It was pretty cool.

So, just think outside the box and when you see something that is reasonably priced and a decent size, pick it up if funds allow. Then keep those items in a clean, secure place and you should be ready for almost anything.

HTH,

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%