Dummy Cake?

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm by justducky

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:05am
post #1 of 6

Help! I need to know how to do the dummy cake (styrofoam) with the section of cake in it...so it can look like they are cutting their cake from it. I have seen it done several times...just need some guidance. Thanks!

5 replies
aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 6

Anybody? I need some help...please!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 6

sorry, I hope that someone can help.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 6

I don't have a clue but I am interested in replies. Here is a bump.
Jen

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

Hi aunt_dodo,

I hope this helps, and if nothing else, it will give your question a bump.

I'm not sure how you would put a piece of cake adjacent to a piece of Styrofoam without a lot of extra work involved to protect it from getting Styrofoam bits in it. But, you could use Styrofoam as a layer and then place a layer of cake on top, with a separator plate in-between.

I would cover the Styrofoam with plastic wrap, then cover it in buttercream. Place a separator plate on top of the Styrofoam, then add the real cake. Frost as you would normally.

Basically, you would only be cutting into the first 2 inches of the cake instead of through all 4 inches.

Tammy

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 6

Cut your section of styro out that you want to be real cake. Close off the styro ends with spackling compound. When dry, sand with sandpaper to smooth. (I do this with my whole styro anyway to have a smooth finish to work on)

Wrap the completed styro in saran type wrap. Now you have a fully sealed styro. Bake and cut you cake slice. Tuck it into the space on th styro.

Decorate as usual. Make sure to mark the real cake area so the b&g know where to cut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%