1.02.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm by nicole379

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 16

Anybody up?

I'm working on one three tier that I didn't start until late. Shouldn't be up tooooo much longer, though.

15 replies
nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 16

I'm up but not making any cakes, unfortunately. I did get $165 in gift certificates to my local favorite cake craft store so hopefully soon I will be pulling my hair out trying to get something just right on my next cake.

The only thing I'm doing tonight is trying to resist a trip to the kitchen to eat leftovers or snacks.

I'm sure your 3 teir will be beautiful. Your work is amazing!

leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 16

oooo Nicole, have fun shopping! What are you thinking about getting?

nicole379 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #4 of 16

I have no clue! I'm going to have to do a little more research and see what the next best thing would be for me to get. Probably some pans and a tilting cake stand. Mine rotates but doesn't tilt.

Any ideas for me?

leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 16

Yes. Save your money and don't buy the tilting turntable. If you need your cake on an angle, just shove the handle of a bench scraper under one side. Those tilting turntables aren't so secure, especially the Wilton one. It is really crap, even for Wilton.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 16

I agree, Leahs. I have the wilton tilting turntable and I almost never use it. I learned early on that the cakes can slip quite easily off of it. Most often I use an old lazy susan I got at a garage sale to use as a spice rack before I took up decorating seriously.

No cakes for me tonight, just thought I'd stop in and say hello. I did a bassinett cake this morning for a baby shower. It came out really cute! How's your cake coming?

leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 16

I'm cleaning at this point. So far it's really pretty. All fondant, top white, middle red, bottom white, all with a lacey (embossed) ribbon with a cut out border on top in black. Tomorrow morning I'll put the hearts on it.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 16

I only have 7 cakes this weekend...these Holidays are killing me! I am SO stressed out when spending time with my family "celebrating" because I am thinking, how in the heck I am going to make up for these day's of when I should be...making fondant, sculpting gum paste, baking cakes, making 30# of butter cream, etc.

Now I am thinking about taking a nap until 3AM then finish up till I deliver at 10AM--UNTIL my edible ink printer started printing whacked out lines WHAAAAA!!

I need to take them to the bakery with me at 3AM and its looking like NO NAP!

Another FUN night in the life of a cake decorator!

icon_smile.gif

imakecakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:18am
post #9 of 16

Leahs, it sounds like a very pretty cake!

What would you guys get with a large gift certificate? I'd probably get more tips and pans. I've wanted the hexagon pans forever...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #10 of 16

Urgh....I can't get my buttercream to crust. Want to use the Viva and printer paper smoothing trick...tried Melvira roller method, sticks! This never happens! Waiting patiently for it to crust. Tick tock....any suggestions? It's just standard old Wilton BC with less PS to spread easier, probably my problem.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:35am
post #11 of 16

I'm up...but not for long. Finishing up some MMF roses for a cake due Sunday and typing up contracts for future orders.
Tomorrow is my birthday and hubby has a cheesecake in the oven for me~yum!

imakecakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:46am
post #12 of 16

Happy Birthday!

Jamie, I hate it when that happens! Is it cooperating now? I'm guessing patience cured it?

I'm off to bed everyone. Happy decorating!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:47am
post #13 of 16

Eh...somewhat. Turned the fan on high and tried that...worked well enough. Threw the little tier in the fridge to firm up. Firmed up too much...gotta wait for it to get soft again.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:46am
post #14 of 16

Jamie I hope you have your icing smoothed by now. I had 3 cakes to decorate tonight and just now finished up enough to get on and see how everyone is doing.

I'm heading to bed now and will finish up 1 cake tomorrow and then make a snowman cake for Sunday too!

I'm off in the morning to wedding dress shop with my only DD who recently became engaged! It's one of those things a mom dreams of forever!! Wish us luck!!
\\
Good luck tonight everyone! See you next week- same place same time!

Suze

leah_s Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 16

Jamie, by adding less PS, you increased the ratio of fat in your bc which means you changed it into a non-crusting bc. icon_smile.gif

To convert any crusting recipe into non-crusting you mess with the sugar to fat ratio. More fat + less PS = non-crusting.

nicole379 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the advice! That will save me 60 bucks.

More tips...yes, I think I will get more tips as well. I hate having to take it off of the coupler, rinse it, and then put it on another coupler between each color.

I will buy some more hi-ratio shortening as well...I always need that.

I also kind of wanted a new toy like an airbrush system or a clay gun extruder for fondant so I'll see. I'll probably go for the extruder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%