3D Globe Shaped Cakes - Styrofoam Used On Bottom Half??

Decorating By lsienna Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 3:23am by Doug

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #1 of 2

Hello,

I have been asked to do a tea cup shaped cake for 40 people. I would probably include the suacer and a spoon with it for aesthetic purposes.

Here is an observation I was wondering about with these types of 3d shaped cakes and what you guys do to make them. I have noticed Duff makes these cakes that are shaped on the bottom like a globe - be it a cup, bowl, round globe, tennis balls, he uses the bottom half of styrofoam. I have also seen him use styro for other shapes that I am guessing cake will not hold its shpae such as the bows of boats, etc.

Is it necessary to use styrofoam for all globe shaped objects - as in my case, should this be used on the bottom half of the tea cup?? If so, the cake should be quite large on the top half of the cup to feed the 40 people - or just include a sheet cake with it? Also, any ideas on how much to charge for this one? Any suggestions are appreciated - thanks a bunch.

Lsienna

1 reply
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #2 of 2

problem w/ cake as a half round upside down --- no place to hide supports for tiers above unless you build a custom support that has only 1 center column that rises to a cakeplate.

easy to do -- just build a round wood base, countersink hole size of dowel or other support material, attach dowel (glue & screw) then first lower the 1/2 globe of cake over dowel, slap on a plate (attach with nail or screw through plate and into top of dowel) then build up more cake above.

of course, I'd just skip the 1/2 globe of cake -- and use RKT molded into place. easier and more stable.

the wood base could be shaped to make it look more saucer-like

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%