How Do I Make This Image To Put On A Cake?

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 28 Dec 2008 , 1:28am by yaadie

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 12

Id like to make it with color flow or royal icing. I've tried with fondant but I can't get the lines and letters straight and neat.

Im sure someone out there in cake land can help me out!

Thanks in advance!
LL

11 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 12

This looks like a difficult one in any type of icing, I wish you luck with it. I'd have to make an edible image if it were up to me to do it. LOL

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 12

This is how I get all my images on a cake.
I would print out the image to the size you want it to be on the cake.
Then taking either a sharpie or a food pen I would trace the outline of the image so that when you flip it over you can see it from the back.
then once you have the whole image outlined, flip over the paper and taking the smallest round tip you have, I would pipe with icing or you can use piping gel over the outlined image.
Then you take the paper and flip it back over and lay it on the cake where you want it to you.
press gently over the image so that either the icing or piping gel sticks.
Gently lift up the paper and you should then have the outline of the image. Then you fill in and color as you need too.

PM me if that does not make sense and I can try to walk you through it.
BArbara

Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 12

Is there anyway that I can use royal icing or color flow, just trace it on parchment paper, let it dry and the put it on the top of the cake? I dont have very steady hands so Im scared to do it directly on the cake for fear that Ill mess up and have to start over.

I dont have a printer with edible ink, nor the money to buy one right now, to make an edible image. So thats out of the question.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 12

sure, I would think you could do the same thing with the royal icing. The only change I would make is to put the reversed image under a piece of glass with parchment paper or plastic wrap on it. I dont think I would want to have to peel off the paper from the royal icing. You could also draw your reversed image on parchment paper and then pipe it onto that.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 12

I have tried several ways, and to be honest... using fondant/gumpaste was the easiest... I used a clay extruder for the lettering, and it really was not all that difficult. Here is mine: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1185304.html

Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I have tried several ways, and to be honest... using fondant/gumpaste was the easiest... I used a clay extruder for the lettering, and it really was not all that difficult. Here is mine: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1185304.html

That looks soooo nice! How did you do the leather jacket and buckles on it?

When you say you used a clay extruder, did you just make straight line and then form them into the shape of the letter?

If you could pm me the directions Id be ever so grateful!

A bar owner wants me to make a dummy cake to put on display so that when people book birthday parties there, instead of the bar buying a cake from walmart or something, he'd use my cakes instead!

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 12

You got it... just pipe out a line of fondant/gumpaste and form the letters. Use some water to attach it, and that's all there is to it.. the jacket is like dressing a paper doll.. icon_lol.gif Cover the top of the cake with white fondant.. then cover the whole cake with black (chocolate fondant, colored black).. hint: place a piece of parchment paper over the white fondant, so the black won't bleed on it.. cut a slit in the black to make the opening.. continue to cut the entire opening and take out the parchment paper. Smooth the black fondant and then cut out the collar and attach, and then the belt.. The placque is the last part to attach.. wa la.. you're done.. icon_biggrin.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 12

sorry if its a dumb question....so it will have two layers of fondant? And how did you do the stitching lines so neat? ANNNNDDDD what do I use to make the buttons and zipper pull silver?

You have no idea how much of a help this is! LOVE YA LOVE YA LOVE YA!!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonesmommy

sorry if its a dumb question....so it will have two layers of fondant? And how did you do the stitching lines so neat? ANNNNDDDD what do I use to make the buttons and zipper pull silver?

You have no idea how much of a help this is! LOVE YA LOVE YA LOVE YA!!!!

It's not a dumb question... ever! Only the top of the cake needs a layer of white fondant. I didn't like just the buttercream showing.. The fondant looked better I thought.. The stitching lines are done with a stitching wheel, just like a quilters wheel. Any cake supplier should have them. the buttons and zipper are fondant also, colored gray, and then painted with silver luster dust and vodka.. glad to be of help.. icon_smile.gif

Someonesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 12

GOT IT!! Thanks! Off to order some silver luster dust!

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 1:28am
post #12 of 12

you could have done a frozen buttercream transfer, directions are on this site

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%