Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 4:55am by sherik

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a good recipe for chocolate buttercream? I was hoping to use mostly butter...less crisco. I need to use it under fondant so a crusting buttercream would be a good idea. Any help? thanks cc!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 4

Do you have a regular buttercream recipe you like? If so, you can add melted chocolate or cocoa powder to it.

I have used melted chocolate chips, candy melts and the baker bars. I prefered them to the cocoa powder until I got to finally use the Hersey's Special Dark Cocoa. I love it! Makes the best chocolate icing.

I just usually start with about 1/2 cup of cocoa (bag of melted chocolate chips) then add more to get the taste and color I want. You will probably have to use a little more liquid than you usually do, since the chocolate tends to make a drier icing.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:39am
post #3 of 4

indydebi's recipe modified as follows --

double batch
1/2 and 1/2 butter & crisco
16 oz bag of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips melted

make indydebi's recipe using butter and crisco.
Blend well.
then add the melted chocolate -- it will be a very stiff icing that crust and holds shape very well
add more MILK to get softer consistency

her recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-0-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #4 of 4

I have also added Hot Fudge ice cream topping to my regular butter cream.
1/2 c unsalted butter
1/4 c salted butter
1/4 c shortening
5-6 T milk
2 lbs. confectioners sugar
Hot Fudge topping - add to desired color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%