Vegetable Oil Vs Butter For Cake Mix

Decorating By vita752001 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 1:36am by steplite

vita752001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vita752001 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:08am
post #1 of 12

Hello there,
I just wondering if the cake mix will taste better if I use butter instead of vegetable oil for all cake flavors. But I've seen a lot of doctored cake mix use only vegetable oil. Does pudding really important to be added? I feel like the cake's moist enough already. I usually bake from scratch so I am pretty new with the box. I just want to try since baking from the box soo much easier.

11 replies
sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #2 of 12

I use oil in my mixes, but I also add milk or even light cream instead of water, and I always put in pudding. the extra fat helps with texture and moistness. While a box cake with oil, water and no pudding can indeed be a tasty thing, a few little touches help make it more individualized. People rave about my cakes, and I NEVER bake from scratch. As to the butter, I have tried it in my mixes and personally I've never had anything but trouble. HTH. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 12

i bake from box mix all the time, to me they both come out the same, i prefer to use oil because it's less expensive. i also doctor my cakes and add pudding plus the extra egg. i love the vanilla taste it gives it and the extra egg makes it more dense, which is good for larger or carved cakes.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 12

so many of you say you add pudding to a cake mix...how much pudding are you talking about for a typical 3 layer box mix?

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 12

oops, meant to say 2 layer not 3!

vita752001 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:53am
post #6 of 12

Today I just bake a lemon cake. I used lemon cake mix, milk instead of water, added 1 extra egg, lemon zest and lemon juice and I used vegetable oil. Maybe it's just me, I still feel that it needed something in it. So I think about butter. I also think it might be better use regular yellow cake mix with lemon pudding.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:05am
post #7 of 12

I use the Cake Doctor cookbook. Her recipes are varied. My favorite white cake recipe has 1 stick melted butter. My favorite chocolate cake is oil and sour cream instead of milk. I think it really depends on the cake flavor and your preference.

I think the butter is wonderful in the white cake, but maybe chocolate already has so much flavor that it doesn't need that extra touch?

I ususally add 1 box of pudding to 1 box of cake mix. There's one brand that says on the box that it has pudding in the mix. I don't add extra pudding to that.

vita752001 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:15am
post #8 of 12

If I want to make more than 1 recipe, can I just double/triple everything? I think there's only 4 cups of batter for 1 cake mix.

sweetisome Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 11:51am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

so many of you say you add pudding to a cake mix...how much pudding are you talking about for a typical 3 layer box mix?

I use one 4 serving box of pudding for every one box of mix.

sweetisome Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:19pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita752001

If I want to make more than 1 recipe, can I just double/triple everything? I think there's only 4 cups of batter for 1 cake mix.

I usually do and things work out fine. Try adding some good vanilla to your mix as well. I use about 1t per box. I also use white chocolate pudding instead of vanilla, I think it tastes better, I feel that the pudding ads such a subtle flavor that I wouldn't depend on it to actually flavor the cake rather to enhance that flavor. You could use a yellow cake mix and lemon pudding, and have you considered adding some lemon curd to enhance your flavor ( also the lemon zest and a bit of juice sound yummy) And what about lemon extract ( just a bit ) to punch it up if you need to?

vita752001 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you soooo much for all your help. Next time I will add the pudding in my cake mix. I also consider to buy the Cake Mix Doctor Recipe Book, it sounds great.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #12 of 12

I always use both. 1/4 canola oil 1/4 cup of butter, substitute milk for the water and use Watkins vanilla. YUM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%