How Much To Charge For These . . .

Decorating By Jocmom Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 6:29am by TexasSugar

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

I made a bunch of these for my sister-in-law to hand out to her students this year. They were such a hit that I made some for my coworkers and for my mother to give as gifts to delivery people (she's home-bound - recovering from surgery).

I've had several people ask if they can order them for next Christmas - almost 200 snowmen so far. Great - but how much should I charge for them? No one has asked for a price so far.

The marshmallows are dipped in white chocolate and decorated with chocolate. The snowflakes on the hats are cut from fondant and their little noses are tiny Reece's Pieces. The last batch that I made had pink cheeks applied with luster dust. They're individually wrapped.
LL

6 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 7

I bought some very similar to these at a local craft fair and they only charged .75c each. I was shocked that they were so cheap. I'd think more like $2 each.

KimAZ

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

I just did the math . . . it costs about 65 cents to make one of these snowmen. They take awhile to make because the hats take about 20 minutes to dry. I've tried popping them in the refrigerator, but the heat from my hands melts the milk chocolate - even though I wear gloves.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 7

Think it through like a business. If you hired someone to make these, what would you total expenses be ... INCLUDING PAYROLL? Then figure your mark-up.

ry.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

I've seen white chocolate covered marshmallow snowmen with gummy hats selling on the internet for $3 each.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

I would charge $2.00.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #7 of 7

Think about what Indy said. It isn't always the cost of materials. Figure out your "hourly wage" and factor that in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%