How Do You Make Royal Icing More Appetizing?

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm by antonia74

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 14

My Wilton instructor said Almond extract was the only extract you could add to RI to enhance the flavor. I'm still not loving my highly decorated cookies that I have a lot of RI on. What are your recommendations?

13 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 14

She's mistaken, you can add any flavouring you'd like....but it's recommended that you don't use oil-based extracts if you can avoid it.

Sticking to water/alcohol-based extracts is certainly fine and there's hundreds of possibilities out there to experiment with.

thumbs_up.gif

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 14

I add fresh lemon juice, it makes whipping the eggwhite easier and definitely improves the taste icon_smile.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 7:38am
post #4 of 14

I am probably one of the few that doesn't use Antonios recipe. I use the recipe from Confetti Cakes and get rave reviews from it. If you would like it let me know and I will PM you with the information.

tastefullysweet Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:54am
post #5 of 14

Could you pm me the recipe? I'm making mine the old-fashioned way - with egg whites... But it's too brittle, is the one with meringue powder more stable and does it brake less?

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:31am
post #6 of 14

I too would love to try the confetti cake icing as I haven't had good reviews with the others that I have tried.
Is there anything that would taste like buttercream but harden to stack?

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 14

You can flavor royal icing with any water or alcohol based extracts. I usually add a little lemon juice (also makes it whiter and stronger) and clear vanilla, but you could experiment with different flavors.

Egg-white royal icing is actually supposed to be stronger than meringue powder RI.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 14

I add clear vanilla to the Antonio74 recipe, everybody loves it.

tastefullysweet Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

Egg-white royal icing is actually supposed to be stronger than meringue powder RI.

Oh, ok, didn't know that. Is it better to whip it really stiff or to just stir it with PS? Common sense tells me that whipping would create tiny air bubbles in the icing which would make the icing more prone to breaking. On the other hand, it might be too runny. I don't have much experience with RI, that's why I need some expert oppinion. Thanks in advance!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 14

Here is antonia's recipe

6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar

In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickened...about 30 seconds.

Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.

Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.

Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.

Cover the bowl with a dampened tea-towel to prevent crusting and drying.

Tint with food colourings or thin the icing with small amounts of warm water to reach the desired consistency.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Is it better to whip it really stiff or to just stir it with PS? Common sense tells me that whipping would create tiny air bubbles in the icing which would make the icing more prone to breaking. On the other hand, it might be too runny.

I've never actually used egg white; I always use Wilton'g MR recipe. I make in my KA set on a medium, or medium low speed. If I'm using it for flowers or something that doesn't break as easily, I'll use it fresh. But if I'm using it of for something more delicate, I'll let it sit for a few hours to settle and let some of the air work out, then gently stir it before using.

antonia74 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 14

You can use fresh egg whites in my recipe too. (Just take out the first addition of water and the meringue powder.) Substitute 6 large egg whites instead.

And yes, just like CakesByJen2 mentioned.....you make the icing and thin it to the right consistency, cover the bowl with a damp/wrung-out teatowel (not touching the icing directly), leave it on the counter for a few hours (or put a grocery bag over the whole thing and leave it out overnight.) When you return to use it, all the bubbles have risen to the top and popped. Your icing is as smooth as glass and ready to use, just give it a stir or two with a spatula. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 14

could you not add glycerin to your RI for cookies, like we do to RI on English wedding cakes. so it doesn't dry as crisp.

antonia74 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 14

I've heard people say that they add a tablespoon of glycerin or corn syrup to it, yes....but it's not a rock-hard/break-your-teeth royal icing. Because it's thinned with water, it stays semi-soft where it touches the cookie...it's the top surface area that hardens enough to stack in 18-24 hours. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%