Tiara...royal Icing Or Gumpaste

Decorating By montanabaker Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 2:05am by montanabaker

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 12

I want to try a tiara for my sisters cake....should I do cc royal icing tiara or a gumpaste one. Has anyone tried the royal icing one? did it work?

11 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 12

I did a royal icing tiara, it's in my photos under princess castle cake and a little one on the heart-shaped smash cake. it was my first time trying it and I think it came out pretty good and was pretty easy. hth

jessnsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessnsam Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 12

I think that royal icing would be better.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

I tried the royal icing tiara instructions here from CC. They were very easy and so was the tiara! it looked soo beautiful afterwards. I have never done a gumpaste one icon_razz.gif

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 12

I tried the royal icing and it did not work for me so I did a gumpaste/fondant mix and let it set for two days. The following is my finished tiara. This was my first tiara as well.
LL

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:58am
post #6 of 12

I used white cholate candy melts. Really easy and yummy. Best of all, no breakage.
LL

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:08am
post #7 of 12

I haven't tried myself. I made a crown out of gumpaste. When I've read threads about the royal icing tiaras, there are lots of complaints about breakage. If you want to try one of those, find those threads first so you can see tips! Try to make 2, in case 1 breaks.

Personally, before I make one I will make sure I have a good clay extruder and just do it with gumpaste. They're very pretty and less chance of breakage.

montanabaker Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 5:35am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'm gonna try the royal icing, but try to make 2. Here's hoping one of them works for it!!!

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 12

Actually you should try a chocolate one! I made one out of melted white chcocolate that i piped on waxed paper which was wrapped around a pitcher. I will upload the picture of my cake in my pics section!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 12

I used the CC instructions and did one in royal. It's in my photos. It wasn't hard. However, I saw some beautiful ones made out of gumpaste (and I noticed the lovely ones posted right here in this topic). So it looks like you've got great ideas from others, no matter which method you choose. icon_smile.gif

Don't forget to post yours!!! icon_wink.gif

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 12

Ok for some reason i cant upload a photo to my pics so i was goin to post it here...but it wont let me do that either..*sigh* icon_redface.gif sorry for the inconvenience.

montanabaker Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:05am
post #12 of 12

So... I've been working on my royal icing tiara on and off today...and I just finished it a couple hours ago...don't cheer yet though
I am a goofball, and couldn't wait to see how it looked "off" the wax paper...
note to everyone trying this for the first time, wait like more than a few hours for the royal icing to harden completely...mine was still kinda sticky on the wax paper.

So now I just started a new tiara because my other didn't quite make it. At least I have a couple of days til the cake will need to be done!
I promise to post a pic when I'm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%