Help, Brown Sugar Melted In The Fridge????

Decorating By Joybeth Updated 25 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm by Joybeth

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:28am
post #1 of 13

Ok I made a peanut butter pie and sprinkled brown sugar on the top, pull it out of the fridge several hours later and instead of brown sugar there is a runny brown caramel look on top of my pie! What caused this????
One more question, when broiling coconut icing is it safe to put the cake on the cardboard in the oven to broil the coconut? Am I making since? Information please.!!!
Thanks

12 replies
Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 13

Anyone??????

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 13

The brown sugar absorbed moisture from the air in the refrigerator and liquefied.

I've never put cardboard into the oven before... I'd use a sheet tray.... the idea of cardboard in the oven makes me nervous....

Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 13

Thank you!!!!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #5 of 13

Ive dried sugars in the oven on cardboard before but the temp was only 170 degrees. I once accidently turned my oven on 350 with a pizza box inside and it scorched. HTH

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:11am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

Ive dried sugars in the oven on cardboard before but the temp was only 170 degrees. I once accidently turned my oven on 350 with a pizza box inside and it scorched. HTH

Hahahahah I did this once when I was in middle school. I swear I almost burnt the house down!! All I wanted to do was heat up some pizza... icon_wink.gif

Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #7 of 13

Wow thanks guys...I really don't need to burn the house down right now! lol!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:09am
post #8 of 13

ROFL ~ ya, definitely don't put flammable cardboard under the broiler. icon_confused.gif

Goodness.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:47am
post #9 of 13

I am trying to figure out if I read your question correctly; you said "is it safe to put the cake on the cardboard in the oven."

If you want it to be already on the cake, you would need a food torch, like they use for crème brûlée. Even then you'd risk melting your icing, which I'd think would happen almost instantaneously. I'd broil the coconut on a cookie sheet and then sprinkle it on the cake...jmo!

Joybeth Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 13

Well it was an oatmeal cake, I found the recipe on CC and it said to place the coconut sugar mixture on the top of the cake and broil it. I just wasn't sure what it meant. It wasn't really icing. Just brown sugar, coconut, and butter. Thanks

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 8:19am
post #11 of 13

Oh I see, the mixture IS the icing, in a way...? Kind of like a sugar/coconut glaze, it sounds like. I'd only use the cake board if none of it is actually extending beyond the cake itself. Broiler=open flame=I'm the kind of person that WOULD burn my house down! :LOL:

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 13

If you are broiling icing that is already on the cake, then you dont' have to worry about the cardboard. It sounds like it would only be in there a few seconds, like when you make Baked Alaska (Ice cream over cake, topped with a merinque that you put under the broiler for just a few seconds/minutes to brown the merinque. The ice cream doesn't even get warm, let alone melt.)

If your iced cake was under the broiler for more than a few seconds, you'd do more damage to the cake than you ever would to a piece of cardboard.

And I've accidentally baked more than one frozen pizza still on the cardboard. thumbs_up.gif

Joybeth Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 13

Ok thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%