Quick And Easy Way To Dry Ri Snowflakes. Is This Safe?

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 8:56pm by Someonesmommy

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have to make 3 coconut cakes with snowflakes on it so I needed to find a way to dry them QUICK! I have a large clothes dryer that has a rack to put in for drying tennis shoes or delicate items. It stays in the middle so that they don't tumble. I used some of the leftover RI icing I had and did a few snowflakes to try out, put them on a half sheet pan with the parchment and put them on the rack in the dryer. I put the dryer on the lowest heat setting and ran it for about 15 minutes. They dried perfectly and in no time at all.

What I'm wondering is would this still be safe to put on a cake? There isn't any dryer lint on them and the snowflakes are for cakes that go to family parties.

What do you experts think?

10 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 11

I probably wouldn't want to KNOW that that is how you did it. I suppose if it were for sale, then no way. For family, again....I would be better off not knowing how you prepared them. icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 11

I do not know the answer but I would like to know if it is safe too. thumbs_up.gif , What I was thinking maybe if we put them on the oven on very low temp. they would dry faster.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 11

lint, hair would be my only concern. can you let them set then cover in cheesecloth?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11

Be sure to rub them with a Bounce sheet to get rid of static cling....j/k icon_wink.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

I think that is really ingenius! It doesn't come in contact with anything that wouldn't be food safe, I don't see why not...but only because it isn't for a paying customer. You can't rationalize drying edibles in the dryer to a client!! hahaha

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 11

LOL!! Sorry this made me laugh. Very clever idea though!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 11

Well, to be honest, it wouldn't be my first choice...........An oven set on it's lowest temp (about 170 F, these days), would probably do about the same. A convection oven with the fan on would also mimic the process.

Another option is a small food dehydrator and they can be purchased for about $40, including shipping.

Rae

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 11

confirming blakescakes advice.

i always speed dry my RI in my oven on lowest temp. surprisingly fast and works great when making lilies using the aluminum foil method -- totally dry in about 20 min.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 11

I don't think the dryer would be a good place to dry food items. This is one of those sounds like a good idea at the time things. Just think what would the local health inspector say or do if they heard this. I know it may only be for friends and family but I don't know that I would do it.

I have been having a hard time getting my fondant leaves and some fondant penguins to dry. Would the food dehydrator work for that? I have to definatley try it with the royal icing, would have never thought of that.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 11

You know...I always have those ideas...sounds good at the time, but.......ya know! LOL

Stupid me never even thinking about it, I have a food dehydrator in the back of a cabinet!

Thanks for mentioning that! I think that would be better than the clothes dryer! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%