Fondant Cakes And People

Decorating By jackmo Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 12:02am by Carolynlovescake

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 19

Today i made a bratz cake for a ladie's little girl. The little girls and the mother loved it. But the problem was the the people who was there did not like the fondant. They said it tastes like nothing. I was getting into fondant, because the cakes look so much prettier to me. Now I am at a point to just get out of fondant,period. Have anybody ever felt that way?

18 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #2 of 19

What kind of fondant was it?

jackmo Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 19

It was the fondant recipe from michelle foster. It tasted good to me. I guess in this city, people are more on buttercreme then in fondant. But as i said before, fondant makes cakes look so much prettier.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 19

Most people don't really like the taste of Fondant, even though I make my own and think it taste pretty good. Satin Ice fondant really tastes great to me, and I make fondant that I think tasteded similar. I always put plenty of BC on all my cakes, just so if people hate fondant, they can peel off and disgard the fondant, but still have BC to eat with their cake. I love working in fondant, and have no plans to stop. Just remember to use enought BC so people have a choice. I think the addition of fondant is a waste in the area of taste, put a must in the area of appearance. Another great tasting fondant, but limited in use due to the color is Sophiaebelles Jello fondant. Taste great, but is the color of the flavored jello.

jackmo Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #5 of 19

I always put enought butter cream under the fondant. , but as you said that fondant is for appearence. You just can't get the same look with buttercream as with fondant especially when you are working with 3d cakes. michelles fondant tastes great to me. But believe it or not, i found most people like icing to taste kinda salt/sweet. like the kind they used to make a woody's bakery. Now to me, it tastes salt/sweet. They don't like like a too sweet butter cream. As far as the fondant, I did tell her about people and fondant i hated that she had to explain to the people who didn't care about it.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 19

Even if the fondant is yummy, sometimes people just don't like the texture of fondant. I know that the 2 types of fondant I make are yummy and I have friends and family eat it alone in chunks, that some people still peel it off before eating the cake because they don't want to chew their frosting.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #7 of 19

I am trying to slowly get people to like fondant! haha I always add fondant accents to the cake in some way so at least they can taste it. I guess in my area most people don't even know what it taste like! Heck.. sometimes people are like whats fondant??

jackmo Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:43am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I am trying to slowly get people to like fondant! haha I always add fondant accents to the cake in some way so at least they can taste it. I guess in my area most people don't even know what it taste like! Heck.. sometimes people are like whats fondant??

Yes, you are absolutely right! They are so used to buttercream. Fondant seems like a foreign thing to them.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 19

That's why I put a normal layer of icing under my fondant. Although most LIKE my fondant, if they don't, they always can eat up to the fondant. The key also is getting it THIN in my opinion. I love my choc. fondant and so do my customers......

Jen icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 19

My husband loves the look and hates the taste. He will peel it off and eat the rest but has made it clear than any cakes I do for family events can not be covered in fondant.

My 7 year old.. if it has so much as a fondant cut out he won't go near the cake/cupcake period. He makes it clear that fondant is a spawn from hell and will have no business with anything it touches. It's so bad that any time I start baking he will ask "are you going to be using fondant.". I mean the kid is seriously worked up and worried over if I'm going to use it or not so he can have some of what ever it is I'm doing. This from a kid that never stops eating anything and everything in the kitchen except the plates, utensils, and drinking cups.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 19

I always put enough buttercream underneath the fondant so people have that choice still. The majority of my brides prefer buttercream, so I stay pretty much out of using fondant.
Edna

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

My 7 year old.. if it has so much as a fondant cut out he won't go near the cake/cupcake period. He makes it clear that fondant is a spawn from hell and will have no business with anything it touches. It's so bad that any time I start baking he will ask "are you going to be using fondant.". I mean the kid is seriously worked up and worried over if I'm going to use it or not so he can have some of what ever it is I'm doing. This from a kid that never stops eating anything and everything in the kitchen except the plates, utensils, and drinking cups.

That's cute! Funny though, my kids, nieces and nephews (there are 12 of them total, all 10 and under) love the mmf. I use alot of it to decorate, but not totally cover the cakes. They're always picking the pieces of fondant off to eat it, sometimes without eating the cake, go figure! With my kids around its hard to decorate without them eating it first, I even had a neighbor girl staying with us last night who asked me to make some fondant so she could eat it.
As for the adults though, most of them hate it. My sister didnt eat a few of my fondant covered cakes, I never realized she didnt know there was still a layer of buttercream underneath and she could peel away the fondant. Still hoping to use more of it, I love how it looks but seems like no one wants it.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 19

CarolynGwen

funny you should mention that.. MY son is 8 and does EXACTLY what your son does! He ate fondant once and ever since then hates it!! And this is coming from a kid that never refuses cake. Heck both of my kids work in my quality control department!! icon_biggrin.gif My daughter is 5 and she will eat all the left overs when I am done.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

He makes it clear that fondant is a spawn from hell

I suspect that his attitude is one he learned from his father. Daddy thinks it's horrible so son believes the same thing. I would so tempted to tell that kid to stop acting like the fusspot his dad is. Actually the dad should be told that unless the cake is specially made for him, i.e. his birthday or Father's day, he can just peel fondant off if he doesn't like it and to quit griping like spoiled brat.

In case you haven't figured it out, food gripers drive me nuts. To me it is just plain rude. If you don't like something, eat around it and keep your trap shut. Most people have foods they don't enjoy or absolutely loath, but good manners require that you don't insult the cook by making a fuss and that includes one's mother/wife.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 19

"food gripers" I'll remember that one!!!

My family never complains out loud, to me anyway, that is why it took about three family b-day cakes she wouldnt touch before I realized my sister didnt know there was buttercream under the fondant.
I try to keep it off of her kids cakes now, anyway!

Still learning and constantly testing recipes so I tend to point out what I don't like or do like and ask for feedback from my family, they are my guinea pigs. But my DH always adds his two cents before I even ask: "its really good, but...." geez thanks hubby, I thought it was fine (he'll now be known as a food griper) icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:53pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

Quote:
Quote:

He makes it clear that fondant is a spawn from hell

I suspect that his attitude is one he learned from his father. Daddy thinks it's horrible so son believes the same thing.

Nari how dare you attack my family and call them such names. That was completely uncalled for. You assumed things about them that are so far beyond the truth then went even a step further and called them names.

If you want to tell them to their face let me know and I'll gladly let you call my home so you can be knocked off that soap box you are standing on.

My husband works damn hard for this house and our family so I don't have to work out the home and if he doesn't want fondant on any cake I make for home consumption cakes I make regardless of the occasion then I damn well won't. It's the least I can do in return for such a selfless man.

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 19

well i have to say i being in the uk ive never seen a professional cake covered in buttercream!! All the cakes over here are more or less all covered in fondant-and i love it!!!! I think it looks smoother and tidier but then saying that ive seen some amazing work with buttercream on this website. I say go with whatever your customers prefer.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:12pm
post #18 of 19

whoa whoa whoa ladies! I'm sure no one had the intention of insulting anyone! Sure, I agree that Narie didn't have to resort to name calling, but take the high road Carolyn and turn the other cheek!

Carolyn, I'm sorry your family doesn't care for fondant. I've worked with fondant only a couple times, but I enjoyed it. My hubby doesn't care for baking of any kind, only cookies! Kinda frustrating when his birthday rolls around and all he wants me to cook is cookies. Frustrating in the sense that I know I'm capable of so much more. Have you checked out Serious_Cakes' youtube page? She has several videos on there and one of them shows how she gets her buttercream extremely smooth. Almost looks exactly like fondant to me! Maybe you could check it out for your next family function!

Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 12:02am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Maybe you could check it out for your next family function!

I can get my BC pretty smooth (going on 20 years of decorating) so thankfully I have that area covered.

Hubby agrees that looks wise it's beautiful it's just not his taste thing and he doesn't want me wasting fondant for home consumption/trial runs because all he does is peel it.

It's not anything more than a waste in his eyes to go to the work when I can already do the job when it's just for "us". Why use what we won't eat when we can save it and use it for a customer order.

That's why he runs the books for our business and I do the baking and decorating. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%