Where's A Good Place To Sell Or Even Give Away Cake Stuff?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 3:45pm by tiggy2

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 13

I'm cleaning out the stuff I don't use and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place to sell or even give away some cake related items that I don't use. I'd really like them to go to someone who will use them. Is there a cake trade board somewhere? I know I can try Ebay but I'm looking for a place just for cake decorators. If there's a forum for that here I'll feel like a real idiot but please let me know anyway, I'm a big girl!

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 13

Last year I did some cleanng and posted on here. I got the name of a caker who had lost her house and everything else to a fire. I also got the name of someone who was just starting out, of limited means. I divided my excess into two boxes and mailed them out.

You might just ask for the name of someone who seems deserving and pay it forward.

Simpler than Ebaying all the stuff. And you know its going to a good home.

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 13

You can also try posting on Craigslist. Just be sure not to give out your address on there. I've never had any issues, but you just never know. Tons of people look on there to find things they need/want. Good luck!

Steph

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Last year I did some cleanng and posted on here. I got the name of a caker who had lost her house and everything else to a fire. I also got the name of someone who was just starting out, of limited means. I divided my excess into two boxes and mailed them out.

You might just ask for the name of someone who seems deserving and pay it forward.

Simpler than Ebaying all the stuff. And you know its going to a good home.

How sweet! Youdabomb.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 13

I would do it right here. There's a lot of people who are just starting out and need the help because financially they aren't able to get a lot of the supplies. Where better to start than at home? Somebody else on here did a raffle and others just keep their ears and eyes open and give to those they feel really need it. Heck, I just mailed off a Kitchen Aid and the person didn't even ask for it, but I had it and thought she could really use it and turns out she was really grateful because she really wanted one but it wasn't in her budget- it was the best feeling in the world.

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I would do it right here. There's a lot of people who are just starting out and need the help because financially they aren't able to get a lot of the supplies. Where better to start than at home? Somebody else on here did a raffle and others just keep their ears and eyes open and give to those they feel really need it. Heck, I just mailed off a Kitchen Aid and the person didn't even ask for it, but I had it and thought she could really use it and turns out she was really grateful because she really wanted one but it wasn't in her budget- it was the best feeling in the world.

wow that was nice of you. i just can't believe that there are nice people in CC. As the first generation of being in america, i've never decorated a cake before or make good tasting decorated sugar cookie.i've learn so much from CC and so many good recipes. lol this might be dumb but my husband was really surprise that i've ever bake a cake or made cookies before until i married him...

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:07am
post #7 of 13

There's also Freecycle, a Yahoo group where you can post giveaway items and request items you are seeking; all within your local area. Check the link below for more information and to search for a group in your area.
http://www.freecycle.org/

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #8 of 13

There is a yahoo group for this purpose : cakesupplies

It's fairly quiet... but every once in a while there have been some
postings.

Tita9499 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajnpis

wow that was nice of you. i just can't believe that there are nice people in CC. As the first generation of being in america, i've never decorated a cake before or make good tasting decorated sugar cookie.i've learn so much from CC and so many good recipes. lol this might be dumb but my husband was really surprise that i've ever bake a cake or made cookies before until i married him...

Where are you from, if I may ask?

I'm not surprised at all, I've traveled a bit and I've realized that not very many cultures do the whole "cake decorating" things like we do. There are a few other countries, but not a lot.

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajnpis

Where are you from, if I may ask?

I'm not surprised at all, I've traveled a bit and I've realized that not very many cultures do the whole "cake decorating" things like we do. There are a few other countries, but not a lot.

I was born here in the U.S. 5 month after my parents got there. But they were born in Lao. I don't know if anyone know about the hmong people. They helped the U.S. during the vietnam war. After the U.S. lost, they just left the Hmong people there, so many went through a lot of hardship trying to get to thailand by swimming through the Mekong river. Its a long story to explain so i found a site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

I'm just so thankful to be born here in the U.S. I've heard some stories from my family along with my in laws that i will never want to experience[/url]

Tita9499 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13

pajnpis: I have actually read a lot about the Hmong culture. My father served 3 tours in vietnam and would tell us stories about how the US recruited a lot of Hmong to help them fight the VC because of how persecuted the Hmong were. Unfortunately now, most of the stories most people hear about the Hmong are about the young age that some Hmong girls are married at. I realize that in some cultures the process of marriage is really different, I just hate that a lot of people don't inform themselves more about other cultures.

It's nice to actually meet and know someone that is a Hmong, you are the first one I know!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

Hi, whatever your decision, I'd love to hear from you to see what you have available. Send me a message here or email me at [email protected]

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 13

I did a pay it forward earlier this month and mailed packages to 2 ladies on this site. It was very rewarding and they were most appreciative. There are always people that can use but can't afford things that others don't need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%