1. Making Antonia's RI and grabbed gumtex can instead of meringue powder, thinking gee, this is dark looking!...instant warm water hit, I
knew. 5 tablespoons of gumtex turned into concrete.
2. While wasting $ throwing away gumtex, turned on oven to preheat. Oopsie...forgot I had put trays of gingerbread men in oven last night after baking and oven cooled...extra storage space. Didn't remember until I smell gingerbread baking....darn...men are now glops of arms and legs and heads...very humid today so they were soft to begin with. Throw away entire batch.
3. Get out plain sugar cookies to decorate. I didn't put enough water to thin RI and is hard to pipe. As soon as it dries, it cracks off the cookie. I knew that would happen....
4. Make oatmeal raisin cookies...can't find wheat germ. DH says he threw it away. Grrrrr. Looking for a substitute...find MOUSE droppings in pantry. Argh!
5. I cleaned up kitchen, told hubby about mouse, told him to get the critter, didn't care if he used a gun, and went to the bedroom and took a valium. Best thing I did all day.
Good grief, what a day!
Wishing you better luck tomorrow!
(Have also done the thing with the Gumtex, if that helps at all)
What a day! I know your pain, I've had days like that before, too! I hope things go better today!
Wow, knowing me I would have given up at the gingerbread! And yech! I hate mice! Good luck on the rest of your day!
Ok Lay down take a nap. Tomorrow will be better. Just don't look back and dwell on today. It's over so let it go and look ahead to brighter things.
If it helps, I've had one of those days, too, although mine doesn't hold a candle to yours! I did completely drop a cake pan when I was taking it out of the oven this evening and, of course, it flipped over and the cake went everywhere inside and outside of the hot oven. I dropped the 2 lb. plastic bag of powdered sugar on the counter and it went everywhere. What a mess I made this evening!
I asked my fiance as he was observing, "Tell me, why do I think I like doing this so much? I suck at it!!"
WOW! I would've had the valium after the gingerbread man incident. Then after I cleaned that mess up I'd fixed my self a nice stiff drink and tucked myself in bed for the week!
I also had day like that on Christmas Eve. My husbands birthday is on Christmas Day so the stress level is high every year. My kids were visiting from N.Y., 2 adults 3 children, we were invited to my daughters house for Christmas, thank goodness, but I always make dessert. I make my Husbands torte (he hates cake), I fill it with real whip cream, then ice it with whip cream, I go to taste the whip cream, I left out the sugar and vanilla! I've been making this cake for over 25 years! I strip the cake put the cream back in the bowl add sugar and rebeat it. Whip cream should not be re-beat! I know that. I re-ice the torte, it's barelly holding on, then it starts to weep, it's mostly butter now. Yes I did take it to my daughter's, told her it was not my best cake. I also made a pumpkin sheet cake, put it in the oven, look on the counter and the evaporated milk is still there. Was not my day for baking.
OH! I'm so sorry about all of these holiday nightmares! I've found the less I try to do, the more I can get done without causing myself extra stress. Of all the times of the year, this is the one where you should be pampered (in addition to Mother's/Father's Day, Valentine's, your birthday and every other day!)
I hope it gets better!
I'm so sorry all this happened to you, I think I would have done the same thing you did. Just go to bed and start over tomorrow.
OMG....we all have bad days, but I think your's wins the big prize...If it's any concellation it makes some of our "Bad" baking days, not so bad....
You are a brave sole.....I would have sold everything (baking stuff) to the gypsys.