Argh! Need To Refrigerate My Filling - Will Fondant Be Okay?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 4:38am by Someonesmommy

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I'm filling, coating, and covering my cake tonight for tomorrow, since I will not have enough time tomorrow morning. The filling is a lemon curd, which obviously has to be refrigerated. Will I be okay to refrigerate the fondant on the cake? I will not be doing anything else with it in the morning, except for mounting a gumpaste topper on top, but I'm hoping I won't ruin it. Please help, since I need to settle this tonight! Thanks!

-Emi.

4 replies
pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

I use both regular MMF and Rhondas ultimate Chocolate MMF and have always refridgerated. I have never had any problems so go ahead, I don't see why not.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:26am
post #3 of 5

I've always refrigerate my cakes covered in fondant and haven't had a problem. When you remove the cake, the fondant may sweat a bit, but no problems here otherwise!! HTH!!
~ Jaime

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

Go for it. I always use fillings that need to be refridgerated, and have to refridgerate fondant. It stays just fine.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 5

Before I discovered this site and found out that water (condensation) could melt the sugar in the fondant, I had put my parents anniversary cake (my 1st fondant experiment) in the fridge. Of course, with the high humidity here in south Louisiana, it formed condensation on the out side. I used my blow dryer on the lowest heat setting and held it about a foot away from the cake and dried the sweat that formed. The fondant turned out perfectly fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%