Must Wasc Be Made By Premixing Dry Ingredients?

Baking By banananutmuffin Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 1:02am by snns

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

Ok. I admit it. I'm a lazy baker. One of the reasons I use box mix is because I can dump all the ingredients in one bowl... easy peasy.

However, I'd really like to give the WASC recipe a go. My question: Do I have to premix the dry ingredients before adding to the wet? Or can I just mix the wet, dump in all the dry and mix?

Also... just a q: Can I "scoop" the flour out of my bag with a measuring cup, or is that too much like packing it down? Do I have to spoon it into the measuring cup and then level?

I guess I'm wondering how sensitive this recipe is...

Thanks!

5 replies
dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 6

I can't speak to variations on this recipe b/c I usually do it as written. However, I do know that I have received reports from other people for different cake recipes. If they have scooped the flour out of the bag, rather than spooning and leveling, or weighing, they tend to get an inaccurate amount of flour, which can greatly effect the consistency of your cake. In terms of not pre-mixing the dry ingredients, I guess you run the risk of having some of your ingredients distributed unevenly throughout the batter.

Give it a go and let us know. I'm all for shortcuts!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

This recipe is not too sensitive as I have about 5 variations of my own from it.

I dump and go... always perfect results.

banananutmuffin Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I am going to try the dump and go. Will report back on results! icon_smile.gif

banananutmuffin Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 6

Couldn't resist so made this cake today by just dumping dry ingredients into wet, no premixing dry. I put wet into bowl, mixed just enough to break eggs and blend a bit, then dumped in the dry. I mixed on low for about 30 seconds, scraped, mixed low for another 30, then mixed medium/med-high for about 2-3 minutes. (I don't have a Kitchen Aid, just a little stand mixer.)

My first WASC, so not sure how it's supposed to come out... but this one came out very moist, nicely dense and tasty! A little tunneling because I think I mixed it too hard and too long (wanted to make sure I got everything blended in). But otherwise, perfect and my new go-to white cake.

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 6

hello friend (banana nut muffin)

could you pls PM me the new white cake recipe you tried without box mix.
I have been wanting to try WASC but box mixes are not so common in our locality

TIA icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%