Anyone Offer A Cake Of The Month??

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm by sari66

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 12

I had a repeat customer who orders cakes just about every month ask if she could do a cake of the month for giving as a gift. She is talking like a 4" cake or something like 1-2 servings. I just don't see how this is even beneficial for me to do. I have a state approved kitchen and usually make about 7 cakes a week so I don't just have small cakes lying around. I would not even know what to charge.. AND don't want to turn my oven on for something so small!

11 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 12

Can you squeeze any extra batter out of the cakes you are already baking?

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 12

Oh definitely making the small cake is not really the big issue here its just how much to charge and make it worth it. I usually deliver all my cakes so to make such a small order and have to take it to the person..

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 12

Is the delivery location nearby or in an area you go to for other reasons? If it is and she is willing to give you design freedom, it might be really worth it to add on to another order, same flavors, colors, etc. Charging by serving size on this type of item then it wouldn't be worth the effort, but maybe $10-$15 per cake 9or more if she wants a lot of detail in the decoration) and she has to pre pay for the # of months ordered with a minimum number of months required. Or maybe offer her to give prepaid predetermined designs of full sized cakes for specific events (i.e. recipient's bday, Valentine's Day, etc.). Please let us know how it works out.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 12

If you think you have the time for it among your other cakes, then I would just tell her that you could do it, but only with a 8" round minimum to make it worth your time. Then, just charge accordingly. I think you're right about the little cakes not being worth the time & effort you would be putting into them. If she is a good customer, she probably already values the amount of time & quality you put into your cakes & would realize what she is asking once you explain it to her.

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 12

Great ideas.. I did write her an email and gave her a few options. She is a very good customer and gets all her cakes through me. She has even sent referrals my way. So who knows it may lead to more business just by doing little cakes for her and her friend! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 12

If you market this to your area, and find out how much it might cost to ship the small cakes, just sit down and decide what flavor cake to create for this program offering for each month. It's like a subscription, the person pays for the subscription for the entire year (all 12 cakes up front) factor in everything into your price. Do a little research on companies that do offer a cake of the month program and what they charge. Usually it ranges from $25 to $50 each cake! So the subscriptions are expensive but alot of corporations and wealthy people do this as a Christmas gift. You could even market it nationally if you are so inclined...

tarheelgirl Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 12

Hummmm.. now that is an idea! One of my good friends wants to ship a small 6" round buttercream cake to Oregon I am in NC. It is kind of experimental but we are hoping it makes it there in one piece! If everything goes well maybe I could branch out a bit.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

but only with a 8" round minimum to make it worth your time.

Yep....those poor cake civilians think "smaller items take a smaller amount of time". They've no idea.....

Which is why I use the phrase "1/4 the size equals 4 times the price."

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Which is why I use the phrase "1/4 the size equals 4 times the price."

Yep! Bigger cake, less per slice price, smaller cake larger per slice price!

tarheelgirl Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 12

I totally agree! I would rather do an 8" cake any day. Still waiting to hear her answer. If she does it great.. if not great! icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 12

I saw this on a website once a few years ago. They offered either a 8" or 9x13" no filling with bc frosting for shipping only for $35-45. You had a choice of either a 6 or 12 mo subscription and if there was a holiday in that month you got a cake decorated as such.
If you feel that you can add it, try it out and see what happens.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%