French Bread? Help!

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 12:31am by Juds2323

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All:

I know this is totally not cake related but I know many of you bake things other than cake. I lost my recipe for the french bread I used last year for my family's stuffed buns. icon_cry.gif I have tried 2 different ones and neither has turned out right. Rock hard on the outside and dense on the inside. I usually do really well with bread - make homemade rolls for all the holidays. I need to make them into small little torpedo rolls. Last year my MIL bought some and they were 60 cents each (5 doz needed) so I made some from a recipe I found online and it worked really well. Now It's gone - I can't find it. Anyone with any suggestions?

Judi

4 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

Hi All:

I know this is totally not cake related but I know many of you bake things other than cake. I lost my recipe for the french bread I used last year for my family's stuffed buns. icon_cry.gif I have tried 2 different ones and neither has turned out right. Rock hard on the outside and dense on the inside. I usually do really well with bread - make homemade rolls for all the holidays. I need to make them into small little torpedo rolls. Last year my MIL bought some and they were 60 cents each (5 doz needed) so I made some from a recipe I found online and it worked really well. Now It's gone - I can't find it. Anyone with any suggestions?

Judi

Are you trying to duplicate the ones you made, or the ones that were bought?. If they are rock hard, and dense, A couple of things happened. you baked to long, and didn't let them proof enough. I really need to know what kind of bread your looking for to be able to give you a recipe.

If your looking for something that is very soft look for recipes that have butter, and milk in them.

If you want something more traditional look for something with a poolish, or a starter of some sort.

If your looking for something in the middle.
3.5#s of Bf
.5 oz of yeast
2#s of water
2oz of honey

Mike

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 5

Hey Mike,

I'm just curious for no good reason...

Are you a Rose Levy devotee?

I love baking bread, but for the life of me can't get myself to weigh anything. I'm sure I'd be more successful, especially in the bread dept.

I'm not asking to be a pain. Or pain, as in bread....brgggghaaaaa!!!!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Hey Mike,

I'm just curious for no good reason...

Are you a Rose Levy devotee?

I love baking bread, but for the life of me can't get myself to weigh anything. I'm sure I'd be more successful, especially in the bread dept.

I'm not asking to be a pain. Or pain, as in bread....brgggghaaaaa!!!!!

Hehehehe a "pain" I like it icon_biggrin.gif No I'm not I do understnad she was a VERY good bread baker. Oh some day, some day LOLOL. I'm in the process of building my own proof box. LOLOL no I'm not obsessed with bread honestly I'm not. LOLOL

Mike

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

The ones I made last holiday, were not too crusty but held their shape when I gutted them....LOL. They are around 3-4 inches in length pretty light inside - was able to pull them out pretty easy. I followed the instructions. Want a traditional french bread taste. My MIL liked the crusty ones but my family liked the softer ones. They had a nice chewy crust. I could have sworn the recipe was similar to the one I used. Maybe I did something wrong in execution - measured too much water or something. I had been making candy all day.

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%