Is This Safe?????

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm by emccle

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #1 of 11

I'm making 75 cupcakes for tomorrow and I was wondering if I can leave the cupcakes iced and outside the fridge all night, I'm using Indydebi recipe, it is about 50 degrees down here and I wanted to make sure they'll be OK for tomorrow monrning. I don't want to get anybody sick.

Thank you.

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 11

Unless your cake or cupcakes has a perishable filling THERE IS NO NEED to refrigerate them. Refrigeration makes them go stale faster.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 11

They don't have any filling, I was just wondering since Indydebi's icing contains milk how would that work.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:39am
post #4 of 11

The small quantity of milk/cream in powdered-sugar based buttercreams is entirely preserved by the high amount of sugar. No refrigeration necessary. thumbs_up.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 11

I know all of the above to be true, but whats our limit, can I make a cake and 24 hrs later deliver it to someone who maybe does not eat it for another 24? Just curious, I normally cut as close as possible and advise any leftovers to be ref. after 24 hrs.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 11

I guess it will be ok, it's actually less than 24 hours!!
Now I need to think how I will transport them!! icon_redface.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 11

I leave cakes out for days. I never refrigerate (my license won't let me make anything that needs fridgeration). I've had cake for up to a week or two on the counter and it is still good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:28am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

I know all of the above to be true, but whats our limit, can I make a cake and 24 hrs later deliver it to someone who maybe does not eat it for another 24? Just curious, I normally cut as close as possible and advise any leftovers to be ref. after 24 hrs.

I ice/decorate on Thursday for a Saturday wedding .... cake is fine. I know this to be true, because I cut-n-serve most of my wedding cakes, and I always taste-test them at the wedding.

Our grammas kept cake in a glass covered dome for a week or more and it was just fine.

As leahs says, refrigerating cakes cause them to go stale faster ... so I would stop advising clients to refrigerate the leftover cake unless it's a really perishable filling. You're doing them a disservice by telling them that.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 11

thanks indydebi - I guess I just get the fear of it goping "bad" or moldy. Thanks for reply and advise

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 11

What are your thoughts on leaving an Italian/Swiss/French buttercream out overnight?

Does heating the egg/ sugar meringue mixture upto 140 degrees make it safe and stable?

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 11

On the same line, can ganache be kept out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%