Help With Royal Icing

Decorating By rockytop Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm by tippyad

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 11

HELP... I am going to make my first wedding cake due in late Jan. She wants an all buttercream with edible flowers, flowers have to be stiff. I am looking to make them out of royal icing. All of the royal icings I have ever made were either tooo hard or not very tasty I am looking for a recipe that is liitle softer and tasty .

10 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 11

Does she want 3D lifelike flowers? I would think that Candy Clay may be a good choice if you need to make 3D since gumpaste is not really edible.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 11

I don't think there is such a thing as royal icing that is not hard. If you want something soft, I would suggest butter cream.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 11

Could you do flowers with really stiff buttercream?

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 11

I suggest really stiff butter-cream as well if you want tasty. Fondant is my least favorite to work with b/c I think the taste is horrible, but they can make beautiful decorations. Good luck!

Not sure if I'm close by you, but PM me if you'd like some help/advise.

Tippyad

rockytop Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 11

I have thought about a stiff B/C but am afraid that the ends might split. Would a medium b/c work if allowed to air dry.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 11

I have found that after RI flowers sit on the cake for awhile, they soften up.
As for taste, can't help you there. I've never tried it, but can you just add flavoring to the RI recipe? icon_confused.gif

tippyad Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 11

I wouldn't suggest a medium BC b/c the shape wouldn't hold. Stiff would be your best bet.

What type of flowers does the bride want on the cake?

tippyad Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

I have found that after RI flowers sit on the cake for awhile, they soften up.
As for taste, can't help you there. I've never tried it, but can you just add flavoring to the RI recipe? icon_confused.gif

oil/extract will break down the icing

rockytop Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 11

She wants Petunia's

tippyad Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 11

I think royal icing would be your best bet w/ petunias. This will allow you to make the flower very thin and very durable for when it comes time to place the flowers on the cake. And if you use them on the side of the cake they will probably hold better.

Royal is edible, but not as flavorful as BC. Plus when it comes time to serve the cake the cutter will probably remove the flowers anyway. If the bride is determined to have BC you should be okay, but royal icing flowers are much easier to make ahead of time and store.

Either one would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%