First Time Using Square Pans....baking Tips?

Decorating By SweetLisa Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm by indydebi

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #1 of 7

I'm planning on making a gingerbread house cake using 6" square pans that are 3" tall. The centers seem to be taking forever to bake, while the sides/corners are browning a bit. Any hints you might have? I am using the WASC recipe (lemon version) and baking at 325. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:23am
post #2 of 7

You could use bake even strips, or if you don't have any of those, pin some wet (not wringing wet) towels around the perimeter of your pans.

That cools off the sides a bit and allows the middle to catch up. Also helps them come out level.

SweetLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetLisa Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:45am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

You could use bake even strips, or if you don't have any of those, pin some wet (not wringing wet) towels around the perimeter of your pans.

That cools off the sides a bit and allows the middle to catch up. Also helps them come out level.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have some baking strips, but had tried them with bad results on a 3" round pan in the past. Have they worked well for you with the wider pans?

BTW, I ended up baking the 6" cakes for about 60 minutes each, and the middles were done, and the edges were just slightly overdone.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 7:06am
post #4 of 7

Put a flower nail upside down in the center of the pan before you bake it, also check your oven temp, it might be hotter than you think it is.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

I've never had a bad result with the strips. But I don't usually use them on anything less than 9in in diameter.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

I always use 2 flower nails, sprayed with Pam and have no problems --- cakes always bake even. I have the 'center cake baker' from Wilton (sorry, don't know technical term) but I prefer the flower nails since they work just as well and you just simply pull out of cooled cake - not having to worry about replacing the cake center from Wilton-thinger-ma-bobber!! icon_smile.gif
~~ Jaime

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7

I'm also a bake even strip person, plus lowering the oven temp for slower baking. I use the strips on all size pans and reduce the oven temp on all size pans.

Here's a thread on the science of baking strips and how/why they work:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%