Does Anyone Use Box Cake Mix?

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 12:44pm by cakesbydina

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:03pm
post #31 of 70

I do both, it depends on the time I have and the taste im looking for.

I dont have a problem with either, they both have their pros and cons IMO.

Some people think its "cheating", personally I dont see it like that.

If its good, its good. Period.

icon_razz.gif

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #32 of 70

I use a doctored cake mix recipe. I think we tend to feel quilty because some people can make us feel that way when they think its not real cake if its from the box. So now i lie (sorry) and say its from sratch, if they ask me. i only bake from home, however if i had an actual bakery can i still use a doctored cake mix recipe. Does anybody out there own a bakery and use cake box mixes?

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:25pm
post #33 of 70

Thought I'd add my $.02 in here too, lol.

I only use box cake mixes. Truthfully, I'm too lazy to measure out and mix from scratch. I do doctor my box mixes, I just think they taste better and have a better feel. I add a packet of Dream Whip, 4 eggs and 1cup water to a box mix. Sometimes I subsitute 1/2 cup creamer for 1/2 cup of the water. Have tried using all creamer, and the cake comes out kinda dry.

Plus, like a lot have said already, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

~Chelle

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #34 of 70

I am a box cake sifter. All I use is boxed, on sale even!!! And after reading this I'm going to add a pudding every time! mmmmmmm

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #35 of 70

I've made cakes from scratch that everyone loves, but they are much more expensive and time consuming to make and I always get tons of compliments on my doctored mixes as well. I offer a "gourmet" line of cake flavors which are my scratch cakes and my basic line - never had anything but complments for each. I may be giving TMI but i do let people know that the basic flavor options are enhanced mixes and the gourmet is scratch. I use the WASC and adjust the extracts to suit the order and sub. buttermilk or milk for some or all of the water (depending on flavor I'm making) and if it's a choc. mix I add 3 heaping TBS of cocoa powder, 1 stick melted butter in place of oil and sometimes some mini chips. I also just made Red Velvet with a doctored DH RV mix and it was wonderful, added the usual from WASC but replaced almond w/more vanilla, 2 T. of flour w/cocoa powder, milk and buttermilk instead of h2o and 1 tsp of vinegar, everyone loved it. Glad to know there are so many mix bakers here.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:39pm
post #36 of 70

Box mix here!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #37 of 70

I use boxed mixes and doctor them up! I have so many compliments about how my cakes are moist and yummy. One lady was telling someone the other day that there was NO way my cakes were out of a .99 mix. They were sooo moist. I just had to giggle a little!

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:56pm
post #38 of 70

what pudding would you add to a white cake mix to keep it white? Do you always add an egg when you add a box of pudding. I do, but noticed some people didn't mention the egg. I am a total box mix user and always get compliments on the taste.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:21pm
post #39 of 70

I use box mixes only. That way I know for sure the consistency and flavors of my cakes will always turnout the same...and when need be, I doctor the mixes, and like I read here on CC "box mixes are just pre-measured ingredients".

If the customer doesn't ask, I don't bring it up..I let them think what they will...

I have a friend who worked with a lady who decorated cakes and used box mixes, and she always made fun of and gossiped about her behind her back to everyone because of it....I cringed at her fun making, to say the least!
I remember thinking "cake decorating" isn't necessarily about the cake ingredients, as much as it is the decorations on the cake. It takes as much talent to decorate a scratch cake as it does a pre-mixed cake....So anyhow a few years later her and her daughter came by and asked me to make her daughters wedding cake, they didn't specify wanting it from scratch, although I assumed they thought it would be, and I didn't bring it up either, so I made her cake from box mixes, and her mom kept taking on about how great the cake tasted...never asking if it was scratch or not, so I dared not mention it was box mixes...to this day I felt like the joke was on her for making fun of a fellow cake decorator!

Plus that just went to show, that box vs. scratch didn't matter as much as she thought it did!

"MYBAD?" icon_wink.gif

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #40 of 70

I always use box cake mixes and get compliments on how good and moist it is. I think it's because the buttercream tastes so good on it! Great combination!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #41 of 70

Get a nice glass jar with a heavy glass lid. Print up a real cute label with the word Scratch printed on it. Stick it on jar. Store your flour in it. When you mix up a box mix, take a pinch of the Scratch flour and toss it in the mix. So when people ask how it's made....from Scratch.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #42 of 70

Get a nice glass jar with a heavy glass lid. Print up a real cute label with the word Scratch printed on it. Stick it on jar. Store your flour in it. When you mix up a box mix, take a pinch of the Scratch flour and toss it in the mix. So when people ask how it's made....from Scratch.

Just for fun....wouldn't want to mislead anyone...some will think that is just not funny at all, I'm betting icon_wink.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:49pm
post #43 of 70

I use box mix... unless it's chocolate cake because I'm not a fan.. or at least haven't discovered one yet.. that I truly love. Some of my favorites are DH Lemon Supreme and DH classic yellow using the WASC substitutions.. and adding butter extract opposed to almond. It is to die for!

I've even committed much worse 'sins' than just using a box mix.. I butchered my lemon curd and in a pinch used DH Lemon Supreme icing and the entire party raved over the icing the entire night. Boy did I chuckle!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:53pm
post #44 of 70

scratch only here!

Yes, I am a terrible food snob and proud of it!

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #45 of 70

I have done dozens of both scratch and doctored box mixes. I find the darker the cake, Red Velvet, chocolate, has to be scratch there's just no comparison. But I can't find a scratch that rivals a doctored box mix for white or yellow cake, they are just sooo moist. I am upfront with clients about the doctored box mix recipes. but there are no complaints, it's just so good. I have never used just the box mix, always doctor it. Although I do use a scratch recipe for coconut cake. But scratch is defianetly more expensive, I guess in this economy if you can save on ingredients and the cake still tastes great you can focus more on the decorating.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:20pm
post #46 of 70

I disagree with the chocolate scratch being better than a doctored chocolate. I have some fab choc. scratch recipes that turn out great, but I only use PILLSBURY cake mix (pudding already in the mix) and use the extender recipe (3 eggs,1 1/3 c. water 1 stick melted butter, 1 c. sour cream, 1 c. flour and 1 c. sugar, pinch of salt) plus I use 1/2 cup HERSHEY SPECIAL DARK COCOA.
This makes a very good chocolate cake with consistent results.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 11:14pm
post #47 of 70

WASC what does that stand for......? : )

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:32am
post #48 of 70

I use box mixes all the time!! I can get them for 10/$10.00 on sale so why not!! It costs triple to bake from scratch and to be honest..many recipes are not that good!! My customers love the taste and texture so I agree with indydebi.....why fix iy if it isn't broken!!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #49 of 70

I baked using box mix and some scratch. I prefer box mix and adding extenders to it. It makes it more like homemade.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 2:29am
post #50 of 70

WASC: White almond sour cream. It's one of the classic doctored cakes around CC. There is an original by kakeladi and a modified one. They are both delicious and have many different variations for them. The cake comes out sturdy and MOIST!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #51 of 70

Box mixer here too. Sometimes I doctor it. Most of the time its just straight outta the box. I am a decorator - not a baker! LOL

Debster287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debster287 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #52 of 70

I am new to decorating and have only used box mixes. I am so glad to hear so many of the experienced decorators use boxed. Its great when you can get them on sale. I am going to try the pudding mix next time. I like the betty crocker mixes the best.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:08am
post #53 of 70

I love to scratch bake. However, I do use box mixes too. It just depends on my mood and if the scratch cake comes out like I want it to. Box mixes are always that safety net!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:19am
post #54 of 70

I use cake mixes...I just doctor them up.

Starlitpink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starlitpink Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:38am
post #55 of 70

I use mixes, but doctor them. Scratch cakes are often really heavy cakes. As much as I love baking from scratch, decorating and fine sugar work are my specialty.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:59am
post #56 of 70

God Bless this post!!!! I have only used box mixes up to this point. I have been so focused on getting my decorating down, that the cake has taken a back seat.

I am a huge fan of Pillsbury. I have people ordering my cakes just because they taste so great. I have felt awful...until this post. icon_smile.gif Even after I get my own recipe down...I will use Pillsbury for those clients.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:04am
post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

scratch only here!

ME TOO!!

paddlegirl14 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:05am
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

scratch only here!

ME TOO!!

paddlegirl14 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:08am
post #59 of 70

Box mixes hve to many chemicals for me.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:39am
post #60 of 70

I only use box mixes and add flavoring to them. I was wondering what your responses are when someone asks you point blank if your cake is made from scratch or from a mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%