Pricing Cupcakes/mini Cakes

Business By mija10417 Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm by mija10417

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I have a customer that wants either cupcakes or mini cakes, something I've never sold before.

For cupcakes, would I charge the same amount I do for my cakes per serving or should I charge less?

And for the mini cakes, not sure exactly what she wants in term of shape or size but how much should I charge for these?

thanks!

6 replies
SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 7

mini cakes take FOREVER...make sure to charge enough for them...it depends on where you live of course but if you use fondant...at least $10-15 per cake

cupcakes....I charge $2 per cupcake....but that would be a simple decoration

hope this helps

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Around here, mini cakes start at $50 per cake. If they are doing like center piece cakes. For mini individual cakes, it's more like $6/cake.

I start my cupcakes at the same price as my regular servings.

Be prepared for mini or centerpiece cakes....it's a LOT of work and a lot of time. So make sure you are paid for that.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:32am
post #4 of 7

Cupcakes start at my base per serving price and go up depending on design.. mini-cakes start at $20 per cake (3" single tier covered in BC and fondant.. and you'll want to use fondant.. BC alone in a mini is even more of a pain).

They are both a lot of work, but minis are way more of a PITA to fill, frost, and cover than cuppies are.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:52am
post #5 of 7

I like the mini cupcakes, but if you don't have the supplies, that's another cost to consider upfront. Minis tend to tip over easily, so I use the boxes (from BRP.com), to transport them. Minis are great for children because they are bite sized. Beware with minis...because they are bite sized, people sometimes want to have 2 or more each. If the decorating is simple, however, the minis are easier IMO because you can crank out from 2-3 times the amount in the same amount of time for larger cupcakes. Good luck.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:59am
post #6 of 7

I don't think she's talking mini cupcakes.. but rather mini cakes.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm trying to push the cupcakes on her as I really don't want to do the mini cakes either. She originally wanted petit fors but I told her right off the bat I don't do those.

I priced her accordingly to all your responses. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%