Fondant Makes My Cake Dry!!

Decorating By amyizzy Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm by leah_s

amyizzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyizzy Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Cakies!

My tried and true moist cake recepies turn SO DRY when I decorate them in Fondant! How can I prevent this? I do frost a layer of BC before adding the fondant.

Please help!

8 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 9

Fondant shouldnt make your cake dry. Bake, level, frost with BC, and then cover in fondant.

Fondant icing has nothing to do with your cake's moistness.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 9

I can't imagine the fondant making your cakes dry. If anything, they should be keeping the moisture in. Are you doing something different with your cakes when using the fondant then you normally do?

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 9

how do you think the fondant made your cake dry? highly unlikely, as fondant keeps moisture; it has no 'drying' properties.

Could you have overbaked this one time?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 9

I also don't think fondant should make the cake dry. To be on the safe side, you could brush each layer with simple syrup to add moisture.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 9

The fondant should not affect your cake in any way when it comes to how moist it is.

Jen icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 9

When you put on the layer of BC, do you make sure to completely seal the cake? That way, no air can get in.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9

I have never had a cake become dry because of fondant. I don't mean to sound like I have a big head, but the feedback I get is always "moist and flavorful." I just don't see how fondant can cause a cake to become dry.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 9

No way that the fondant is the culprit. Fondant seals. there's no way it's affecting the moistness of the cake. If anything, your cake should be moist-er since the fondant seals out the air. Especially with a decent layer of bc underneath.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%