Spun Sugar??? Help Please...

Sugar Work By kellertur Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,
Is there a guide to spun sugar & nests on here please? icon_confused.gif
I'd really like to learn this without having to buy yet another decorating book. I'm on a timeline, so any help would be appreciated.

I've seen it done on TV, but I'd like to communicate with people here who have done it.

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 3

Here are the instructions from my spun sugar demo. The cake referenced is the cigar cake in my photos.

Spun Sugar (Angel Hair)

2-2/12 cups granulated sugar
Scant ½ cup water
Scant 2/3 cup corn syrup

Place the sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat. Insert a candy thermometer and cook until it reaches 311°F (155°C) or hard crack stage. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof glass bowl to stop the cooking. Add color now, if desired. Place bowl at your work surface.

Once the bubbles have subsided, hold a wooden dowel horizontally in front of you, about a foot above a work surface covered with a large silicone mat or a sheet of parchment. With your other hand, dip a fork into the hot sugar, hold it above the bowl until the sugar flows in an even stream, then rapidly wave the fork back and forth about 6 inches above the dowel. As the sugar falls freely from the fork, it will stretch into thin strands. When the dowel is completely covered, gently remove the angel hair and set aside. Repeat until you have used all of the sugar or have made the desired amount. Use immediately.

Avoid making this on days with high humidity as the sugar may melt or never set up properly. On a dry day, the sugar should hold its shape for a few hours.

For cigar smoke, gently curl tops of angel hair bunches. Insert lollipop sticks into cake. Thread angel hair bunches over sticks.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

I'm very excited to try this technique (the correct way.) I appreciate you responding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%