Sandra Lee...ugh

Decorating By momma28 Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 12:39pm by Mike1394

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:40am
post #121 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Maybe a lot of us are on the wrong site.

Since when is calling someone you don't know a "drunk"...celebrity or not...right? Was she drinking at the time? Did she drink around kids and knock over something?? Seriously...who has the right to call someone a drunk when they were just giving cooking/entertaining tips?

Are we all professionals or striving to be professionals? THen half the comments on this thread go way beyond unprofessional to just downright mean.

She is human. She found people who wanted to hear what she had to say, and others who would listen. Is everyone who doesn't make cakes like us so wretched?? Isn't that why some of us have decided to teach? Isn't that the reason some of us are PAID to do what we do?

The video speaks for itself. She is not a great cake decorator. Period. Why did this whole thread have to get so ugly?

DITTO!!!! I know that we all are entitled to our own opinion but some of the stuff that has been written about SL is right out mean. Let's be honest, we ALL have made a hideous looking cake, sometime or another. I know I have but I am going to continue to practice so that I can be at the level that most of you ladies are. God gave you talent and He can take it away!!! Come on Sisters, lets keep it professional and not be so mean spirited.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Happy Baking!!!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #122 of 180

Yep, there it is. I agree, that does appear to be a somewhat harsh statement. There may be more to it than we realize. However, I've never heard Ms. Lee making the news for public intoxication or any other issues. Like I stated, though, I don't like cocktails/drinks being flaunted on tv and I've noticed, not just with her show but with others on FN, that alcohol seems to be playing a more predominant role lately. I used to love to watch Cat Cora on Iron Chef but noticed that she finished each episode with a shot of hard liquor for her and her team mates. I personally find that offensive and had to quit watching. I know, it's my personal opinion but having lost family members to alcohol, both from consumption and at the hands of others and I have a pretty strong position on it. I don't think they are "drunks" but I do wish television would be more selective about airing such things. Thanks for setting me straight, Cakemom777. I appreciate it!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 4:15am
post #123 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLiLMissCupCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

Oh my. It is 5a.m. and I tuned in CC for my morning baking lessons and what to my wondering eyes does appear but this wonderful thread about SL. I don't have cable at home so whenever I travel I spend my evenings in those boring hotels watching the Food Network. I keep saying to my husband "how in the world do these people get a cooking show"? I could do that with my eyes closed!!!!!!
I gaze at her and that Gaida person who look like they are going to a coctail party instead of cooking up a meal. I have actually used a few of SL's ideas over the past couple of years, but there is still this deep seated mistrust and dislike of both of them. How in the world does anyone look that gorgeous and still turn out something that one can eat. And the worst of it is------how in God's green earth does anyone cook and stay that skinny???????? You just can't trust anyone who looks that good and shows cleavege (spelling) in the kitchen. My hubby probably doesn't agree because he just laughs at my tirades when I am watching these gals.
I have been just in hysterics reading this and can't thank all of you enough for contributing to this thread. I am all for not combing my hair and wearing my jeans cutoffs in the kitchen. Maybe today while I finish up my baking for this weekends party, I will dress up, put on my makeup and see how it feels. Who knows-----MAYBE SOMEONE WILL OFFER ME MY OWN TV COOKING SHOW!!!!!!!!
Love you all and Merry Christmas
Lily

A little stereotypical dont you think? Just b/c not everyone is fat and dresses in sweats or whatever doesnt mean you cant cook. you can be skinny and pretty and dress nice and still cook great food or desserts just as good if not better than the chubby, not as pretty, underdressed person!!!!!! its so ridiculous that you get judged by what you look like.

um.....I'm quite sure lilybird was kidding about that part.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #124 of 180

I stated that I didn't like her morals, that's why I don't watch. Maybe she's not a drunk, but she does come off as having a love for the liquor. And when she flauntes it at a childs bday party that's not cool in my opinion. I do believe she comes from WI, my home state, which has the highest drinking problem in the US. As a matter of fact my small hometown of 5,000 statistically has the biggest drinking problem in the world! We were just featured in the NY Times for it, and our local bars gladely serving minors as young as 13! So, this does seem to be a sore spot with me. I have been working with the community to help clean up this problem. So, now you know why I made the comments I did. I didn't mean to offend, I was just stating how many see her, and many of the so called role models on t.v. today. I guess I'm more of an activist for responsible drinking, and she does not help this cause. Same as PETA being against fur in fashion. To each their own, and I will now step off of my soap box. You may now return to your regularly scheduled forum icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #125 of 180

Gag! I just watched both of these cakes being made and now I'm sick! the woman is a train wreck and she's on tv! I must be doing it wrong icon_sad.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #126 of 180

man, I was sitting there wondering "how many cans of betty crocker icing does THAT take......so I looked up the cake on Food NEtwork's site and she says to get 4 =16oz. can of icing.........sure looked like a LOT more than that in those ziploc bags! Must be the whipped kind......maybe that's why it looked so fluffy?

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #127 of 180

You'd think that if she worked for the Food Network that one of the "Cake Professionals" that worked there would let her know that these cakes don't look as good as they could.

Simple or not her cakes look very sloppy and she's making a ton of cash for those sloppy cakes!! icon_mad.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:22am
post #128 of 180

[quote="sarahpierce"]I stated that I didn't like her morals, that's why I don't watch. Maybe she's not a drunk, but she does come off as having a love for the liquor. And when she flauntes it at a childs bday party that's not cool in my opinion. quote]

These questions are for everyone here...please..no one get offended but I just have to ask...Out of all the kids birthday parties you've attended or just parties where kids were in attendance, was there no liquor at all? No beer? And if there was liquor there, do you share your concerns with the person who is throwing the party? Given that you don't like liquor being "flaunted" at a kids party do you stay or leave when you realize that there is liquor there? I'm asking because I've been to alot of kids birthday parties and I've seen coolers of beers, wine, wine coolers and even some hard liquor. I don't think it has anything to do with morals, its just something that people don't really think twice about. I don't think that people say,'Oh we shouldn't buy that case of beer because there will be kids at the party'. IMHO, no one probably thinks about it!

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #129 of 180

[quote="Kivia"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I stated that I didn't like her morals, that's why I don't watch. Maybe she's not a drunk, but she does come off as having a love for the liquor. And when she flauntes it at a childs bday party that's not cool in my opinion. quote]

These questions are for everyone here...please..no one get offended but I just have to ask...Out of all the kids birthday parties you've attended or just parties where kids were in attendance, was there no liquor at all? No beer? And if there was liquor there, do you share your concerns with the person who is throwing the party? Given that you don't like liquor being "flaunted" at a kids party do you stay or leave when you realize that there is liquor there? I'm asking because I've been to alot of kids birthday parties and I've seen coolers of beers, wine, wine coolers and even some hard liquor. I don't think it has anything to do with morals, its just something that people don't really think twice about. I don't think that people say,'Oh we shouldn't buy that case of beer because there will be kids at the party'. IMHO, no one probably thinks about it!

I am not offended, yes I have been to kids birthday partie where drinks was served. The drinkers stayed in the kitchen or outside with their drinks. Personally,I felt that this was the adults party instead of the kids party. Kids parties, to me should be just that, kids party. But as you know some adults just gotta have their drink on, even at a kids party. But at my home, it is a kids party where pop or punch is the main drink. If you want to drink up, go somewhere else. Kids don't need to see that.

jackmo Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:45am
post #130 of 180

on the funny side, maybe she got a drink to keep calm being around a bunch of noisy kids.

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:46am
post #131 of 180

I could not believe that she would do something like that on TV. I could not finish watching that ,I was so up set . Just think other people were watching that dont even decorate cake. She sending the wrong message. icon_mad.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:05am
post #132 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I thought she said she picked up a couple of her favorite cake mixes at the grocery store along with some pre made icing. later in the video she says that it smells so good in her kitchen and she didn't even have to bake(something amok there,eh?).

Maybe cocktail time came before the cake and she couldn't remember if she bought mixes or prebaked? icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the laugh! hahah I literally laughed out loud at your comment! icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:09am
post #133 of 180

[quote="jackmo"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

Quote:

I stated that I didn't like her morals, that's why I don't watch. Maybe she's not a drunk, but she does come off as having a love for the liquor. And when she flauntes it at a childs bday party that's not cool in my opinion. quote]

I am not offended, yes I have been to kids birthday partie where drinks was served. The drinkers stayed in the kitchen or outside with their drinks. Personally,I felt that this was the adults party instead of the kids party. Kids parties, to me should be just that, kids party. But as you know some adults just gotta have their drink on, even at a kids party. But at my home, it is a kids party where pop or punch is the main drink. If you want to drink up, go somewhere else. Kids don't need to see that.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I TOTALLY AGREE with you on the drinking thing. My sister had her 3 year old's bday party and ALLLLL the adults were drinking..I was sitting there thinking WTF this is supposed to be a childs party; not for adults to be sitting there getting hammered; To each their own I suppose.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:25am
post #134 of 180
Quote:

I stated that I didn't like her morals, that's why I don't watch..I guess I'm more of an activist for responsible drinking, and she does not help this cause. Same as PETA being against fur in fashion. To each their own, and I will now step off of my soap box. You may now return to your regularly scheduled forum icon_smile.gif

I don't understand what you mean here. PETA is completely against fur coats and any kind of cruelty to animals (they set a very low threshold) and they enjoy accosting people and vandalizing and going nude publicly to get their point across among other things.

What PITA has to do with responsible drinking is unclear to me.

Now if you had said abstinance from drinking I could see a possible correlation but still.

Sandra Lee is nothing if not drinking responsibly on tv. It's certainly not beyond the bounds for a parent to enjoy a nice drink at thier kid's birthday with other family or parents of the child's friends.

What is the definition of responsible drinking then?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:45am
post #135 of 180

[quote="Kivia"]

Quote:

My .02 if there is a B'day party for a 1, 2 yr old it's more for the parents anyways. The kid certainly doesn't remember it.

Mike

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:20pm
post #136 of 180

[quote="Kivia"]

Quote:

I have never been to a children's party where there was alcohol. Not even once, ever, in all my 29 years. Wanna know what I think about it? I won't even take my children to the local Chuck E Cheese because they sell beer. I think if you have to drink to be around your children then there's more of a problem than a sloppy cake. JMO

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:41pm
post #137 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

If you want to drink up, go somewhere else. Kids don't need to see that.

I'm curious about something in this statement. If you do drink does this mean that you never do it in front of your children? Never have a glass of wine at dinner or anything?

I do think the problem most have with the cocktail time at a kids' party is that she felt the need to cover such a thing. Sure if you want to open a bottle of wine or mix a drink it probably isn't a huge deal but why would you have that as a big part of the menu on a TV show about planning a kids' party?

It's things like the kids' party having a cocktail time that make her come off as a drunk. That doesn't mean she is but when she has cocktail time for stuff like this you at least have to wonder what her producers are thinking.

I've personally never been to a children's party with alcohol served. If I dropped my kids off at a party to come back and find out that all the grownups had been drinking I probably wouldn't be willing to take my kids back there without being there myself. I'd look at an event where all the parents were there a little differently than a drop off party.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:06pm
post #138 of 180
Quote:

Quote:

I'm curious about something in this statement. If you do drink does this mean that you never do it in front of your children? Never have a glass of wine at dinner or anything?

I see it like this...you take your kids to weddings (if kids are invited) and the majority of the time there is alcohol there. Do you leave your kids home? The bride & groom are not thinking.."Maybe we shouldn't have alcohol at our wedding because kids are going to be there". Also, when you go out to restaurants with your kids...there is always alcohol in restaurants... So although you may not take your kids to parties where there is alcohol, there are plenty of frequently visited places, such as restaurants that serve alcohol. Think about it!

I certainly don't like adults getting wasted in front of kids, but i don't think there is nothing wrong with having 1 glass of wine at dinner. JMO!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:17pm
post #139 of 180

I think her recipes are terrible and for the most part, extremely unhealthy.........enough extra sodium in those cans and boxes to elevate the blood pressure of an entire city block and usually 2 to 3 times the daily recommended limit of fat and saturated fat. So, why bother? I could do as well for my kids at any fast food restaurant.
Her changing themes and kitchen decor and yes, her constant "cocktail time" all make me laugh, as they are pretty ridiculously over the top. Who does that, right?
However, I did want to jump on in and say I have attended dozens of kid's birthday parties (and Halloween parties and Christmas parties......) where alcohol was served. They all had as many adults in attendance as kids. Kids who are old enough always know that those are drinks for grownups. I don't think it's a bad thing for kids to see that adults can enjoy a drink with their food at a party, still act responsibly, say thanks for the nice party, drive home and go on with their evening. Showing kids a responsible and mature way to enjoy alcohol is probably a good lesson learned. Pretending it doesn't exist is only like putting your head in the sand.
There is a huge difference between kids' birthday parties with both kids and adults in attendance and drop-off parties, where the only parent's in attendance are the hosts. Surely, no one on this board is simple enough to think SL was preparing alcoholic cocktails for the latter.
OK. I've got my flame-retardant undies on, so have at it. icon_twisted.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:30pm
post #140 of 180

Giraffe- I don't think there is a "have at it". I think we're having a healthy debate. So, don't worry I won't yell at you icon_smile.gif .

This is a public forum with thousands from around the world. We were all raised different, and have different opinions. That is why I enjoy CC so much. And frankly I like reading others thoughts. It gives me something to think about and new ideas. I believe it makes me a better person. And if everyone agreed with me - what would be the point? icon_wink.gif
And wow! I didn't think my little post would stir up so much. Let's keep it friendly though so we don't get this thread locked. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:34pm
post #141 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

She had some nerve using the term "attention to detail" while making that cake! icon_surprised.gif

What is so sad to me are the women who watch her show, who think those are "nice" cakes, and they honestly think that woman is "so creative!"

I think leahs has her pegged perfectly ... she IS a cakewreck!

Actually, this woman helps us! Her attention to detail makes our cakes look even better!!

I wonder how long it took for that cake to colaspe...and where can you buy non decorated plan cakes already baked? (she said she never did any baking) And I think canned icing taste like plastic..can you image how that cake tasted?

SO how many of you at your next consultation are going to suggest to the bride "How about if we make little swags out of licorice? Just LIke Sandra!"

Has anyone sent that cake to cakewrecks?

smithcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smithcakes Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #142 of 180

I can't stand SL. Don't like her show, think the changing color matching thing is based on some level of OCD---and the tablescapes? Yeah right.

On the cakes she does, laughable at best. The things she does with/to angelfood cake is an abomination at the very least. Her idea of "supporting" a cake with a bare cardboard circle under all that greasy canned icing is a collapse waiting to happen.

Finally, SL has had more complaints, letters, negative comments to FN about her than any other host (on a continual basis) and they still continue to air that mess. Who knows why they continue to air the show? Bad management, or perhaps it's because people love a trainwreck.

They certainly get their money's worth of "trainwreck" with her, that's for sure. icon_cool.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:12pm
post #143 of 180

Sandra Lee......Step away from the cake!

I nearly gagged watching the Kwanza cake video.
It seems to me she's not sticking to her own ratio. Isn't everything for these cakes already made and she's just assembling it? I thought her semi homemade involved some homemade items, it's not terribly time comsuming to whip up some buttercream icing for a store bought cake. Some store bought cakes are delish but canned icing, yuck!

I definately got a kick out of watching those videos! icon_lol.gif

jackmo Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #144 of 180
Quote:

Quote:

I do think the problem most have with the cocktail time at a kids' party is that she felt the need to cover such a thing. Sure if you want to open a bottle of wine or mix a drink it probably isn't a huge deal but why would you have that as a big part of the menu on a TV show about planning a kids' party?

It's things like the kids' party having a cocktail time that make her come off as a drunk. That doesn't mean she is but when she has cocktail time for stuff like this you at least have to wonder what her producers are thinking.

I've personally never been to a children's party with alcohol served. If I dropped my kids off at a party to come back and find out that all the grownups had been drinking I probably wouldn't be willing to take my kids back there without being there myself. I'd look at an event where all the parents were there a little differently than a drop off party.

nothing wrong with having a drink at dinner with kids around. Its the kids seeing grown adults drinking till they get crazy drunk at a supposed kids b-day party.

giraffe11 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #145 of 180

Oh, sarahpierce, I am very friendly! I am not trying to instigate a fight, if that's how you took my "have at it." Sorry.
I just like to reassure people that they are welcome to have differing (and strong) opinions, without worrying about me getting my panties in a bunch. Cause, I can't get too upset about anything written on a message board! icon_biggrin.gif
Heather

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #146 of 180

I like Sandra Lee's show and she offers people a chance to try something different. Try it. Go for it. I love her biography. I think she's a great role model. I'm proud of her success.

She makes it easy for people who might not venture out into the creative world.

If you don't sling chicken feed and gather your eggs from under the pecking hens, harvest your wheat and grind it into flour then you're already semi-homemade. Just depends on where we're drawing the lines here, kids.

She's not saying put this cake in a box and deliver it to a wedding. She's saying, make a cake, use your ideas, lookie what I did.

She's a nice lady. It's a good show.

Some of us are suffering the guppie syndrome. We want to beat successful women to death as nasty as we can. Why?

I fully celebrate her life and great success.

Hey, let's raise a toast to Sandra over by the table scape...!!!!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #147 of 180

a Shirley Temple for me please!

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:05pm
post #148 of 180

k8memphis, well said!

giraffe11 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #149 of 180

OH, I am not granola-ey at all. I try to use fresh things and cook and bake from scratch most of the time, but I also have a full-time job and two small toddlers, so I know about lack of time and convenience foods.
However, throwing canned cheese soup and canned cream of mushroom soup and some sausage and shredded cheddar into a vat, heating it up and calling it dinner is somthing that's never going to happen in my house. You might as well just get a hypodermic and mainline some liquid fat and salt water.....probably taste just as well too. And yes, this is one of her recipes......from a Halloween episode a couple of years ago, which is the probably the last time I watched her show. It is these type of things that make people scream about Sandra.
Still, I am not a Sandra basher and I have used some of her ideas. For instance, in the same show, she bought pumpkin pies, scooped out the filling, put it in a bag and used it to fill small individual tart shells. I used this idea, only I made my own pie filling and my own tart shells. See? Get a good idea and adapt it to suit you.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #150 of 180

Wasn't this a thread about Sandra Lee's sloppy cakes? How did it turn into moralistic thread about alcohol and kids? I have some catching up to do.LOL icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%