Should Have Known Better... (Sorry Kinda Long Rant)

Decorating By tcbalgord Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm by kbak37

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

after reading the countless posts on here. The day after Thanksgiving, I had a cake due for a friend's 1yr. old boy. ( Not a "close" friend, but a good one.) Here's my story...

I get a call 2 weeks before Thanksgiving asking if i can please do this cake; no problem, it's a holiday, but I really have nothing else to do. I cut them a deal on the price, throw in the smash cake for free. I am also delivering the cake 30mins away, which isn't a big deal because i was going to visit my brother who lives a few blocks from them anyways.
Well, I managed to get the cake done Thanksgiving night after I stuff my self to bursting, so I go to bed and wake up with the worst migraine I have ever had. I have no choice but to push through after all I have to go to work, deal with my kids, and deliver this cake. I tell them that I will drop off the cake at noon. Here comes the trouble...
There was a huge tree covering their address so I didn't get to the door until 12:06. I knock, ring, bang....nothing...no one home. I call their numbers....dissconnected.... Now I am really peeved, not only did I drive there in emense pain, I am close to tossing my cookies all over their sidewalk, but now they are gone with no way to contact them........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
What I did next, I will never do again. All I wanted was my bed, so I left the cakes on their steps with the invoice. Half way home I get a call from them yelling at me saying where am I and why was I not there at noon. i explained the delay, and they said they left at 12:03 cuz they couldn't wait anymore for me to get there. ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH. I apologized for my lateness, although only 6mins. They said that they will mail the check the next day. Great, good-bye I am going home to dye now!
I still have not recieved the check, I emailed them, asking if/when they mailed it, they say oh we will this week, promise, we were just short last week.

I have learned my lesson, I will never leave a cake again. (I know duh!!!) I will always get pymnt up front, and I will dye in my car if the customer isn't there.

Thanks for letting me vent!

2 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 3

Ugh what an awful day. They should be happy they got cakes on their front porch and not barf.

Ungrateful wretches.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 3

I agree...they should be grateful they got the cake! It amazes me that not many people appreciate the time and dedication it takes to make cakes, cupcakes and cookies to the extent that we do. People seem to pass it off as somethng that is not time consuming and assume that it is an easy task for decorators to do. What they dont see is the dedication, the heartache over the small things we fret about, the absolute pain our feet and legs are in, and the staying up to all hours of the night to complete a pice of art for THEM.

I recently did a wedding cake and did not charge the people..dont ask long story. All I did ask for is a picture of the cake. The wedding was mid November..no pic yet! It is hard to tell friends no...and somehow we always get the short end of the deal.

It is sad that some people are as ungrateful as they are! Anyway, I hope you are feeling better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%